Fuji XF1 Arrived Today And...

I think i'm concerned i'll regret not going for a Micro 4/3rd or interchangeable lens camera

Slowly warming up to the XF1 and also still slowly feeling my way around this EXR business. This was taken about a week ago, JPEG at 6MP, DR400, with a wee bit of PP in Lightroom.

20131202_illuleaf-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

wonderful shot that :)

that is at ISO 3200 ??? really ??? that is stunning

ISO is an overrated and frequently misunderstood concept. An ISO 6400 shot of white/bright fur will look better than an ISO 800 shot of a dark alley. That's because ISO is simply informing about the amount of signal amplification/gain that was applied over the sansor's base sensitivity (which is arbitrary, too). However, bright image areas deliver a much stronger signal than dark ones. So amplifying the dark parts of an image is much trickier than amplifying bright ones.

There are plenty of people out there with an agenda to either praise or bash a certain camera. As proof, they often provide samples with a certain ISO setting in the EXIFs. However, real experts know that these ISO settings mean nothing at all. Let me show you:

This image of my screen was taken with an X-E2 at ISO 3200, f/11, 1/30s:

11454501946_45866695be_z.jpg

This image of the same screen was taken with an X-E2 as ISO 200, f/11, 1/30s:

11454578623_2c9eb8d746_z.jpg

As you can see, the X-E2 is more than four stops brighter than the X-E2. Obviously, Fujifilm is vastly inflating ISO numbers in the X-E2, whereas Fuji's X-E2 does not. So I highly recommend not to buy a Fujifilm X-E2 ever, get a Fujifilm X-E2 instead, as it offers more than 4 stops better ISO performance than the X-E2.

Please note that both images are straight out of camera JPEGs, no PP, all EXIFs are intact and accessible on Flickr if you care to click on the image.

Yep. That's why ISO "proof" is pretty worthless in many cases. Fuji is using modern "ISOless" sensors, so it really doesn't matter much at which stage the amplification is applied. Indeed, the best stage is to apply it during RAW conversion, which in Lightroom means using the exposure sliders. This also means that your entire image or parts of it will end up with actual ISO values that are completely different from those in the EXIFs.

you lot are such a bad influence :( :redface: XF-1 ordered, Tan, from Currys to collect from local store tomorrow. No branches anywhere vaguely near me have any in stock. I get the impression they may not be around for much longer so if anyone else wants one it may be wise to strike soon :)

Still really enjoying the XF-1 as my favorite "grab n' shoot" camera. This one from Christmas morning. Legos win every time, even with a college guy. ISO500, from a JPEG, LR5.
. . . David

Attachments

• Dylan - with Lego (1 of 1).jpg
    Dylan - with Lego (1 of 1).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 473
And here in Australia, Digidirect are selling for $179AUD. Its a massive temptation, but the XQ1 tempts me a bit more and its not that cheap. Yet.

Hi, Sue. Unless the whole retro thing really appeals to you, or you need a good pocket camera right away, I think you're probably better off waiting for the XQ1. I really like my XF1 but the updated exposure logic of the XQ1 will probably be worth the wait. The XF1 really does tend to default to slow shutter speeds. That can be overcome but you have to keep aware of that tendency.

I bought a XF1 about 2 months ago. I still haven't opened yet. Now I'm wondering if I should keep it. I can still return it thanks to the extra long holiday return policy. Does anyone have a RX100 and a XF1? Do you find a reason to use the XF1 in lieu of your RX100? I was browsing the image comparison tools on DPR and IR yesterday and on those sites the XF1 can't match the IQ of even the S100 or XZ-1. I was hoping for better since the sensor is a bit bigger.

I wouldn't put too much into the DPR image comparisons involving these Fuji compacts. For some reason, they notoriously can't seem to get the best out of Fuji's EXR technology. Perhaps it's that they simply shoot at default settings. I don't even know if they use EXR mode. And it is true that one has to learn the camera a bit in order to get the best out of it. Same with the X10 and the other EXR cameras.

I bought a XF1 about 2 months ago. I still haven't opened yet. Now I'm wondering if I should keep it. I can still return it thanks to the extra long holiday return policy. Does anyone have a RX100 and a XF1? Do you find a reason to use the XF1 in lieu of your RX100? I was browsing the image comparison tools on DPR and IR yesterday and on those sites the XF1 can't match the IQ of even the S100 or XZ-1. I was hoping for better since the sensor is a bit bigger.

I have both. The XF1 is much more fun to shoot but the RX100 definitely beats it in IQ and speed. The dpreview studio shots look pretty bad because the default NR on the XF1 is very strong. Either great for a pocketable compact. Unless you have an extra $200 burning a hole in your pocket, keep the XF1.

Thanks for the replies.

I have both. The XF1 is much more fun to shoot but the RX100 definitely beats it in IQ and speed. The dpreview studio shots look pretty bad because the default NR on the XF1 is very strong. Either great for a pocketable compact. Unless you have an extra $200 burning a hole in your pocket, keep the XF1.

I should have been more clear. I already have a RX100. Is the XF1 worth keeping in addition to the RX100?

Back