Fuji XF1 Lens Control Error

bobbywise

Regular
Name
Robert Wisbey
Hi,

I had the XF1 for about a month.
Used it only a little bit.
Gave it a bit more of use today while walking around Barcelona.
Tonight, when zooming, the image wobbles and then the screen displays Lens Control Error.
Anyone else witnessed this ?

Looks like I'll have to get it changed/fixed.

Cheers,

Rob

The shop was kind enough to do a direct exchange (after one month).
I hope for Fuji this doesn't become a 'common' fault with the XF1, as it's a great little compact camera.
I'll be interested to know if anyone else gets the same error.

Hi there, new guy in this forum and I registered because I'm getting the Lens Control Issue as well.

I live in the Philippines and Fujifilm lent me an XF1 to review. Not sure how many actuations it had before it was lent to me, but its fairly banged up already with some large nicks on the metal here and there. Lens worked for maybe a month no issues. While travelling, the error popped up maybe at about 800 or so shots total (after I got it). First it was doing some sort of crazy overexposing on the tele end and I couldn't figure it out. (Wide was ok.) Then eventually got the wobbly image when zoomed, then the Lens Control Error. Later on, it seemed to affect the wide end when it would be unusually dark. So I would turn it on and off and sometimes it would "fix" the wide, though the tele is still broken.

Gonna contact Fuji and tell them about it. Camera was a lot of fun to use though. Hopefully this lens issue (seems to be exactly the same as the first post) isn't widespread at all.

Anyway, will try to post an update if I can.

hi,
I live in Singapore, i got the same problem too, my x20 just five weeks old, i think that is the firmware bugs. already sent to Fuji service center.

The 18-55 kit zoom of my XE-1 started showing "Lens Control Error" out of the blue yesterday. It was sent back to Fuji today, not focusing by auto-focus or manually. A new lens at Pictureline, where the camera was purchased 12/2012, worked fine on my camera body. My lens generated the same malfunction error on a new body. I had assumed that the lens would simply be replaced but not so, it has to be sent to Fuji for a repair vs replace decision. Unfortunately I am headed out of the country and really need the camera in a week. We'll see what Fuji says and what the turnaround time will be...

The got the same "error" when I dropped my X20, so I assume it stems from a physical problem. Fortunately it was only about a few weeks old then and Camerland New York replaced it free on the spot! After trying the X10 case, I returned it for a Gariz 1/2 case. I figured this would give me a little more grip and I haven't dropped since :).
Michel
View attachment 2216

Attachments

• DSCF1419.jpg
    DSCF1419.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 2,540
We have a XF1 purchased in May 2013. By Dec 2013, it started having this error. There's a long review on amazon on about this issue and the steps he went through to try getting it repaired. I sent our in and it was like a play-by-play book of how their repair center tries to invalidate the warranty which was documented in that review. Specifically, they say "impact damage". I knew this could happen so I did a video of the unit before I sent it in that showed there was no damage. The metal on the XF1 is designed to show wear to go with this retro look and there was that but definitely no dents or dings. Anyway, I let the tech know that I did that video and he talked with his manager and they agreed to drop the $140 repair charge and honor the warranty. I haven't received it back so we'll see how it goes. With as many people that have had this problem, I don't see this unit lasting very long before the problem comes up again. So, bottom line, is I'd recommend documenting the camera before you send it in if your unit never had any impact damages before the error occurred. Then, when they claim that, tell them that you have a video to prove that wasn't the case. Don't know if that will help but I'm convinced that's what it took in our case.

Back