1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

XF10, they were right, not the X70 replacement

Discussion in 'Fuji Cameras' started by davidzvi, Jul 19, 2018.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    FUJIFILM XF10 | X Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA

Sadly the rumors were true. This is NOT the X70 replacement I was hoping for. Well at least since they didn't call it an X80 maybe there is still hope.

But I AM sure glad I snapped up an X70 during one of the 20% eBay deals back in June to replace the one I stupidly sold back in February.

2. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It's going to be interesting to see how the lens performs on the 24mp sensor, looks to be the same lens the X70 has. From what I could gather the X70 lens isn't as sharp as the Ricoh GR one, and a higher resolution sensor is going to show that even more. But maybe they improved the lens.

It looks a lot like a Ricoh GR competitor, more than a X70 replacement, they even added a version of Ricoh's snap focus. No flash hot shoe though.

With a new sensor, touch screen and the AF joystick it looks pretty good I think, but it's a shame they decided to add a crippled 15fps 4K mode, not sure what they were thinking there, it's pretty much useless. I would have liked a flip screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Like Like x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    No tilt, no filter threads, no hot shoe, not really smaller for loosing the tilt and gaining the joy stick, ......

The lens on the X70 gets a has a bad rap. Yes it's not as sharp as the GR or X100 at distance. But it's actually sharper than the X100 with open closer up.

Fujifilm X70 vs X100T – The complete comparison

5. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Back when the GR first came out Nikon announced the Coolpix A just before Ricoh announced, and then Ricoh launched the GR at a lower price than the A.
    Hoping we'll see a GR III soon at a lower price than the XF10 :D 

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Andrew Lossing
    It's certainly a weird camera. No hotshoe, no filter threads, only minimal buttons on the back of the camera (they are definitely pushing people to the touchscreen gestures and swipes for everything but exposure controls), no AdobeRGB color space, but twin exposure dials (and it would be interesting to see what options there are for the lens ring control - the intro video seems to show switching film simulation modes), and a halfhearted copy of Ricoh's snap focusing and Panasonic's 4K photo modes.

I highly doubt Fuji would expand their line of 28mm fixed lens cameras such that they also release an X80, but this camera seems to back down from being a real Ricoh GR challenger. Fuji is certainly rounding out the ultra-cheap end of their lineup. Probably smart. It occurs to me that if they did release an X80, it could have a better lens design, while the XF10's price could be a good excuse for continuing to offer the soft-ish and unimpressive design from the X70.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
  8. Looks nice. I like small. Especially after just looking at the P1000 video.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderators Team

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I don't think I could get used to a camera without directional buttons.

*shakes fist at imaginary kids on his lawn like an old man*

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mnhoj

mnhoj gee aahrr

Jan 27, 2012
    Would make an awesome little street set up.
    Snap shot mode all day. Stealthy and sneaky. ( :

Other than that, I'd probably want to use something else.

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Andrew Lossing
    Not sure I like the concept of snap focus where you don't get to select the aperture (or shutter speed, obviously). Kind of hamstrung if that's the only way to use pre-measured distances.

12. Archiver

Archiver Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    This looks great except for the lack of filter thread. With that, you could attach a UV filter and never have to worry about a lens cap.

The 15fps 4K video is obviously there to be able to tick 4K on a spec sheet. Oh well.

13. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    That champagne gold version does look nice.
    When I saw the picture of the little girl and the camera my first thought was "Noooo! She's going to smudge the lens!" :D 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Moderators Team

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Take a look at the self-adhesive ones from Accmax. They are available on eBay for a range of cameras. I've had one on my GRs for a while and just bought one for the RX100. They do protect the lens... Crushed 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  15. mnhoj

mnhoj gee aahrr

Jan 27, 2012
    I was trying to be optimistic.

It’s a hamstring camera. A little more would’ve/could’ve went a long way. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    They were going for a price point. With a release price of $499 USD, it will be down near $400 for special sales and that's low enough for an impulse buy.

17. agentlossing

agentlossing Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Andrew Lossing
    Yeah, filter threads would have cost literally nothing. Just design them into the front element surround. Literally no cost.

That said, It would be a good camera for my wife as a possible update to her GF7, and one that I'd "borrow" for a no-hassles snapshooter. I'm not saying I'm against this type of camera. I feel more of these sorts of cameras should exist instead of crappy small-sensor cameras with slow zoom lenses. If this really does fall below $400, it's a screamer of a deal. It in no way replaces the GR cameras, but if the next GR either doesn't materialize or (more likely) debuts at a higher price point than previously, it can exist in the same space, easily.

It has PDAF. If the focus is fast and reliable, it will have what it needs for the type of street shooting I like to do (not going to use that hamstrung snap focus mode).

18. ggweci

ggweci Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Craig
    I think it looks like a great option for a pocket camera:

- nice price point for an APS-C camera in this style
    - small, actually pocketable, but with a nice looking GR style grip
    - excellent Fuji skin tones for the snap shot and social media crowd
    - wifi and square (Instagram) mode for above
    - all of Fuji's nice film simulations that users want (minus Acros unfortunately :( )
    - GR style snap focus, yes not as flexible, but still great settings for (daytime) street shooting with no AF lag.

Overall, seems like a tempting carry everywhere option. I have my eye on it and am looking for some detailed reviews, mainly regarding the lens quality and combo with the 24mp sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. agentlossing

agentlossing Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Andrew Lossing
    Yes, I am eagerly awaiting reviews. A few other things I'm curious about:

• lens ring: how many functions will be available to customize to this ring? Possible actually decent manual focus (although focus by wire), which the GR doesn't have?

• any possibility to back button focus?

• exposure compensation in M mode with auto ISO (comparable to TAv mode on the GR, or the auto ISO function in the very latest M4/3 cams)?

Also, why is this silly square mode a thing? Didn't Instagram drop the square image format a couple years ago now? I have a hard time seeing what the appeal is, unless it's almost solely to try and sell their portable Instax Square printer. Cut the price of Instax film in half and I'll look at it. It's way too expensive for the gimmicky lomo results.

20. agentlossing

agentlossing Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Andrew Lossing
    Shooting impression here: XF10: First Shooting Impressions

There haven't been a lot of real experiences yet with this camera (bigheadtaco's 'unboxing' video is also good) but here's a new one. From this impressions piece it appears the swipe function can be reprogrammed from the gimmicky square format that is the default (and, in my opinion, one of the least appealing "features" Fuji has decided to tout) into something more useful. This article mentions 4 swipes, so it sounds like we could possibly program a swipe from each of the four edges of the screen to bring up something different. Still not my ideal user interface, but better than nothing for a camera with so few buttons. If the quick menu is still locked out of touchscreen use, I'll pull my hair out (amazed at how dumb camera manufacturers can be about these types of menus when Panasonic has had fully-touch-enabled quick menus for years).