Fuji XF18-55/f2.8-4 or XF18f2?

vibranze

Regular
Hi,

I would like to seek an opinion from you guys between the 2 lenses above, which one is better in terms of IQ? I don't mind to trade versatility for IQ.

Thanks.

I don't have any experience with the 18, but I'd imagine as in almost all cases the prime has better IQ than the zoom.

Thanks for the response. :)

I have the same perception as well, prime IQ is always better than zoom but based on the price tag, XF1855 price is more expensive than XF18 ($694.99 vs $399) so I'm wondering is it because of the IQ or the versatility that causing it more expensive than XF18.

I've found the 18-55 to be better of the two. But that is opinion based.

This is a response that I read all the time. I don't have the XF 18, but it is a little smaller, a little faster and a little cheaper, BUT the IQ on the 18-55 is just excellent... so you would get both, quality and versatility

I've found the 18-55 to be better of the two. But that is opinion based.

This is a response that I read all the time. I don't have the XF 18, but it is a little smaller, a little faster and a little cheaper, BUT the IQ on the 18-55 is just excellent... so you would get both, quality and versatility

Thanks guys. After I read the review from photozone.de and the MTF chart, it's suggests that XF1855 is definitely better than XF18.

I think I will stick with it at the moment and not trade it for XF18, in future I maybe just get XF14 instead. :)

Cheers.

My first lens was the 18-55 and then I picked up a used 18. The 18 I had didn't impress me so I sold it. My 18-55 was at least as sharp as the 18. Because of sample variation I probably had one of the weaker ones. For me it didn't have the "wow, this thing is sharp" that my 14, 23 and 60 have. I also had a sharp 35 but I sold that as I used the 18-55 more. YMMV and I've seen very nice shots done with the 18.

My first lens was the 18-55 and then I picked up a used 18. The 18 I had didn't impress me so I sold it. My 18-55 was at least as sharp as the 18. Because of sample variation I probably had one of the weaker ones. For me it didn't have the "wow, this thing is sharp" that my 14, 23 and 60 have. I also had a sharp 35 but I sold that as I used the 18-55 more. YMMV and I've seen very nice shots done with the 18.

Thanks. The reason I want XF18 is because I want to go prime and compact, but if the IQ is not there then I will definitely stick to XF18-55, after all XF18-55 is not that big. :)
Cheers.

It will come down to your wants/needs/uses. I have the 14, 23, and 56 on order. Plus the 18-55 and 55-200. All serve different purposes. I had an 18 and wasn't impressed enough to keep it over the 18-55.

It will come down to your wants/needs/uses. I have the 14, 23, and 56 on order. Plus the 18-55 and 55-200. All serve different purposes. I had an 18 and wasn't impressed enough to keep it over the 18-55.

Thanks. I am saving up to get 14mm instead, beside 23 and 56. :)
Cheers.

Back