Fuji XF35 on its way

Damn! You got me REALLY excited there for a moment - I thought you meant you'd heard something concrete about a new XF35 to replace the current model from Fuji :rolleyes:

The original is a great lens and my personal favourite - glued to my X-Pro1 90% of the time. Post when you've got it!

The lens arrived yesterday from Ffordes. I haven't had a chance to get out and use it - the weather is appalling and I'm busy at work, curse them.... one question though, there is a noticeable metallic click as the aperture blades open and close, when the shutter button is pressed and released. Is that normal?

Damn! You got me REALLY excited there for a moment - I thought you meant you'd heard something concrete about a new XF35 to replace the current model from Fuji :rolleyes:

The original is a great lens and my personal favourite - glued to my X-Pro1 90% of the time. Post when you've got it!

I was looking at it the same way, I was already thinking of what items to pawn.

There's an almost inaudible "tick" when the lens stops focusing, or when the lens arrives to it's focus point, but other than that, it's only the af motor that I hear.

Check the lens firmware level. I remember this as a gripe early on but I think it was addressed by updates.

It's at V3.10 which seems to be the latest. From some googling around I think the problem you describe was the constant "chatter" as the aperture adjusted to different light levels; this is more of a single tick noise on focussing and again as the shutter button is released, and I have seen a video with the exact same thing. I don't think it's a problem but I'll check with Fuji.

No, that sounds "normal" - you won't notice it in real-world use I think. Enjoy it!

Yep. The 35 makes a little bit of noise, which is only odd when compared to its silent siblings. First time I borrowed the 18-55 zoom, I was just as unnerved as you are, but for the opposite reason. It doesn't make ANY noise or movement when focusing, which is creepy after using the 35 a lot. I've even come to like the little "tick" when it locks on. It's like a whispery little focus confirmation tone.

NOW GO SHOOT! :)

Yep. The 35 makes a little bit of noise, which is only odd when compared to its silent siblings. First time I borrowed the 18-55 zoom, I was just as unnerved as you are, but for the opposite reason. It doesn't make ANY noise or movement when focusing, which is creepy after using the 35 a lot. I've even come to like the little "tick" when it locks on. It's like a whispery little focus confirmation tone.

NOW GO SHOOT! :)
You asked for it...I call it still life with Orange peel and Nuthatch cup :)
attachment.php

The XF 35mm f/1.4 is a stellar lens, it's so sharp and the colours and rendering are just fantastic. I'd never sell mine, a must-have lens for any X body.

Took this shot a few months whilst on holiday, I really wasn't that close to this beautiful Owl, so had to crop the image a lot, this thing is huge in real life, gorgeous colours don't ya think (?).

15767894512_999c91d442_b.jpg

Owl by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

View attachment 22673
Ducati beauty by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

Back