Android Xiaomi 12S Ultra - Smartphone with 1 Inch Sony Quad Bayer Sensor

What I see with this is that camera phones have the capacity to be more than what they currently are.
I also see that there is a possibility to other camera brands with smaller sensors - yes - looking at you OM Digital! :)
Would be interested to see a rangefinder or smaller EVF equipped compact with a 1 inch sensor with competitive IQ to an APS-C or give 135 a run for its money!

What I see with this is that camera phones have the capacity to be more than what they currently are.

That's a heck of a spec and for me echoes your sentiment about the future use of phones.

Coincidentally, a friend, and hardcore full frame enthusiast, announced recently he was selling all his Sony camera kit as "my iPhone Pro Max does everything I want". After recovering from my initial surprise, I thought about his action and realised I use my modest iPhone 12 Mini far, far more than my 'proper' camera with all the 'serious' lenses. And it's not just the convenience factor at play; the 12 Mini delivers great photos of places we visit and moments we experience. Yes, phones have their limitations but add RAW (DNG?) shooting to that Xiaomi 12S Ultra or future models and could we have a major change in photography?

I speak as an amateur and predominantly family photographer.

From a recent chat I had with a former SA Air Force pilot - I sent him some pictures taken years ago on a flight with him
and this was one of his comments

1658662967839.png

Not sure though whether this new one will be marketed in South Africa
Yeah, I know. Indirect comparison, but it's been over a year and a half and Samsung still hasn't made Expert Raw generally available. Or just integrated it into their regular camera app. And that's regional releases of existing software for phones with list prices comparable to the 15 to 17 000 ZAR range the 12S Ultra might launch in.

The article linked up top doesn't mention the two 12.7 mm, 48 MP sensor cameras also on the 12S Ultra, a 13 mme f/2.2 and a 120 mme f/4.1 OIS periscope. I'm a bit curious if there'll ever be a teardown of the lens design since two of the cameras appear to look through the side of a shared front element.
Xiaomi said:
徕卡专业光学镜头
5000万 1英寸大底专业主摄:Sony’s IMX989|1 英寸超大感光元件|f/1.9 光圈|等效23mm焦距|
支持四合一 3.2μm 大像素输出|支持 OIS 光学防抖|8P 全镀膜
4800万 潜望式长焦:1/2 英寸感光元件|f/4.1 光圈|等效120mm焦距|支持 OIS 光学防抖|
支持 Zoom EIS 防抖
4800万 超广角:1/2 英寸感光元件|f/2.2 光圈|等效13mm焦距|128° 超广视角|AF 自动对焦

I am -really- curious how these 1" smartphone cameras perform Raw... If anyone has a sample, please post it here.

I've watched a few reviews on the 1" sensors, and the bulk of them seem geared towards what the camera can do out of the box, e.g. how vibrant the colors are, how they compare to other cameras and their apps, etc. And the specs seem geared to what the sensor does computationally. My OnePlus 8T has a "48mp sensor" with a quad bayer, that I can only get in my camera app, as JPG. When I shoot RAW, it's 12MP.

To be honest, I'm not looking to replace my M43 gear, and 50MP on a much smaller sensor than my 20MP OM-1 - well skeptical me is skeptical :). Physics is still physics...

Back