Fuji Xman totally besotted by all X models

Xman

:cool:Hi everyone this is the first time I've ever done this !!!

Just wanted to ask if any of you have had the same experience as me.

Over the years I have used a myriad of cameras ranging from my Zenith B, Olympus OM1, Canon T90, Fuji X Pro1, and various Nikon D SLR's currently D7000 all beautiful cameras in their own right. However my fave was my OM1.

When I heard that Fuji were bringing out the X100 I was very interested but cautious because of the then price, but as soon as I picked one up I immediately fell in love with it. It reminded me in the styling and feel of my old OM1 in some ways, it was a real camera.

Since buying this camera my Nikon D7000 has been in its camera bag and has only had an occasional airing, but boy have I had fun with my X100.
The problem is I now own an X10 and an X-E1 and I bought my wife an XF1 which she loves as well.

I have found that I go out take pics of almost anything but find I have a more creative and enquiring approach to what I am doing and just love being able to choose my film settings particularly b&w, I have never taken so many b&w pics in my life, but I love it.

The look and the feel of the cameras, the knobs and shutter release all remind me of my old camera.

Does anyone else have a similar feeling of fun and joy and maybe feel that Fuji have recaptured the essence of what photography is all about?

Xman

Absolutely, Xman. The first 35mm camera that I bought myself was the OM-1 and I still have it. The things I love about the X100 - are the image quality and the controls and the way the camera feels intuitive to me. For me, I can't imagine shooting with another camera regularly that didn't have similar controls... Of course that's not quite true because I use the X10 quite a bit, too. I'd love to try the XE-1 someday. So yes, the long answer is that the X100 reminds me of the kind of camera I cut my teeth on.:drinks:

X-E1+ Olympus Zuiko

Absolutely, Xman. The first 35mm camera that I bought myself was the OM-1 and I still have it. The things I love about the X100 - are the image quality and the controls and the way the camera feels intuitive to me. For me, I can't imagine shooting with another camera regularly that didn't have similar controls... Of course that's not quite true because I use the X10 quite a bit, too. I'd love to try the XE-1 someday. So yes, the long answer is that the X100 reminds me of the kind of camera I cut my teeth on.:drinks:

Nice to hear that you also had the OM1. I have just recently tried my old OM Zuiko lenses on my X-E1 with some nice results, need to be more manual with focus etc but a nice shooting experience.
Also great that I have the flexibility to use my old lenses again as well.

I'm glad I took a chance and bought a used X-E1 with the 18-55mm. I was worried I'd get buyer's remorse, but this camera has turned out better than my expectations. As much as I love the E-M5 Oly, this thing is even more fun and interesting to shoot with.

Does anyone else have a similar feeling of fun and joy and maybe feel that Fuji have recaptured the essence of what photography is all about?

Yes. :D

X Pro and X100. I had an X10 but gave it to my niece because she was interested in photography. I'm sure I will get an X20 at some point. Right now my priority is all the X mount prime lenses.

X mount prime lenses

Yes. :D

X Pro and X100. I had an X10 but gave it to my niece because she was interested in photography. I'm sure I will get an X20 at some point. Right now my priority is all the X mount prime lenses.

Yeah I agree Steve, has anyone yet got or tried the 14mm f2.8 Fuji lens yet if so what do you think?

Yeah I agree Steve, has anyone yet got or tried the 14mm f2.8 Fuji lens yet if so what do you think?

Mine arrived Thursday. My Dad was hospitalized the same day with a broken hip so I haven't really had much of a chance to try it out. I've managed to take 9 pictures with it. It's really good. Optically I just don't know what you could complain about. The manual focus implementation is much better than the 18, 35, or 60. Personally I'm just not a manual focus person with this camera. I like optical viewfinders for manual focus and gear lenses but yep you can manual focus it easily. It has more bite to the ring so you get more of tactile experience. I would guess that Fuji at some point will upgrade the 35 and 60 to this clutch mechanism- 2 years maybe. It's expensive but not over priced. Here are the few sad pictures I've managed to take. It was raining today so everything is from a Friday. I think they are all at F2.8 except the shot of the trail with Stanley in the weeds. None of them are really worth posting but you can get some idea of the lens from them.

For some reason I had to break it into two for the attachments. The other attachments are below (nest page). Hopefully I will get a chance to take some good photos next weekend. I didn't have much time yesterday only an hour and I'm kinda slow.

Attachments

• 1401.jpg
    1401.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 1402.jpg
    1402.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 1403.jpg
    1403.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 1404.jpg
    1404.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 1405.jpg
    1405.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 96
For some reason I had to break this into two. Other five photos I managed to take on prior page.

Attachments

• 1406.jpg
    1406.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 1407.jpg
    1407.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 1408.jpg
    1408.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 1409.jpg
    1409.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 105
Hey Steve thanks for coming back to me so quickly I really appreciate that and also for the pics, they look pretty sharp for wide open, also sorry to hear about your Dad hope he gets better soon!

I'm looking at getting the 14mm and the 35mm hopefully in the next week or two.

Will probably use the 14mm for street stuff and set it using zone focusing method which should be fun.

Hey Steve thanks for coming back to me so quickly I really appreciate that and also for the pics, they look pretty sharp for wide open, also sorry to hear about your Dad hope he gets better soon!

I'm looking at getting the 14mm and the 35mm hopefully in the next week or two.

Will probably use the 14mm for street stuff and set it using zone focusing method which should be fun.

I can assure you the lens is plenty sharp. I just double checked on the little card. Everyone of them was F2.8 except the trail which is actually a JPEG at F8. The others are RAW converted in Adobe. I also use Nikon FF and G Series lenses. It's as sharp as any of those. No vignetting even at F2.8

The AF speed (the usual complaint about Fuji) is probably a little faster than the 18mm. Honestly this wide even at F2.8 you have a lot of DOF. If you set it at F5.6 or even F4.5 you don't have to worry about zone focusing, it would be hard to get something out of focus.

Would I buy it again, yes and immediately. :D It as good as Nikon lenses I've owned and used costing almost twice as much.

Oh yeah, it focuses very close. I would say 8 inches. I guess I could look at the scale on the lens....:D That presents some opportunities if you can keep your shadow out of the frame.

Hope your dad gets better soon Steve!

and I love my X cameras as like most have said, they are so much like what we used years ago it's just lovely to hold them and look at them :)

Back