Fuji XPro1 custom settings help

winginkris

Veteran
Posted this in "gear repair" but no response, sorry for posting here.
I've had the xpro1 for just a couple of weeks and have very little use with it(too much work)! I like to use custom settings as a quick way to change settings for different shooting situations and I was glad to see that Fuji included 7 custom settings as well as the "basic" setting menu. I'll never use all of them but I'd like to be able to use three or four of them.
I'll explain this as clear as I can.
I set up a custom setting, say I set ISO to 800, shadow detail to +2, highlight detail to -1(just examples). I can then save these settings and access them from the "Q" menu and easily go to any custom setting I choose. Here's the problem. I take one picture with the custom setting and the camera then goes back to "basic" on it's own. But wait, there's more! While it shows that it's on "basic" the custom settings remain(ISO 800, shadow detail +2, highlight detail -1). I then have to reset all the "basic" settings back to 0. If someone with one of these cameras could try a custom setting and see if they experience the same problem, at least I would know it's not just a faulty camera and probably a firmware fix. I called Fuji about this last week and they "promised" to get back to me. So far, I haven't heard a word.
Any help, thanks, Kris

Kris,

I'm not having that problem In fact, when I first had the camer and was using it extensively, I created a couple of different custom settings and moved between them a lot. The problem I WAS having is that when I'd turn off the camera, it would default back to the first custom setting when I turned it back on, regardless of what settings it was on when I'd turned it off. So I basically jettisoned the personal settings and changed things as needed on the fly. A couple of days ago, after returning home, i updated the firmware and just started playing with the custom settings in response to your question. And now when I switch on the camera it seems to be returning to whatever setting I'd left it on when I last turned the camera off. I didn't see anything about this in the firmware notes, so I'm beginning to wonder if I was just doing something wrong originally.

But in ANY case, it does not return to basic settings after each shot using a custom setting. It seems to stay in whatever custom setting I select until I select something else. Even, now, after switching the camera off and back on. Even with the old firmware I never had the problem you're having though. Have you updated the firmware?

One thing I really wish is that they'd let us name the different settings. Two or three I can remember, but can anyone honestly keep track of six or seven different sets of settings without some sort of hint?

-Ray

I'm going to throw this out there and see what sticks, but having thought a bit about how most of these cameras have been designed I would prefer all of that custom stuff were left off the camera. I would prefer they would sell the system with, lets say Adobe Lightroom since its cross platform compatible, and have the RAW file conversion built into the software along with the different film presets and customizations you're doing on the camera into the software instead.

Then the menu system would be much cleaner, simpler, just get out of your way so you can go out and take pictures.

Kris,

I'm not having that problem In fact, when I first had the camer and was using it extensively, I created a couple of different custom settings and moved between them a lot. The problem I WAS having is that when I'd turn off the camera, it would default back to the first custom setting when I turned it back on, regardless of what settings it was on when I'd turned it off. So I basically jettisoned the personal settings and changed things as needed on the fly. A couple of days ago, after returning home, i updated the firmware and just started playing with the custom settings in response to your question. And now when I switch on the camera it seems to be returning to whatever setting I'd left it on when I last turned the camera off. I didn't see anything about this in the firmware notes, so I'm beginning to wonder if I was just doing something wrong originally.

But in ANY case, it does not return to basic settings after each shot using a custom setting. It seems to stay in whatever custom setting I select until I select something else. Even, now, after switching the camera off and back on. Even with the old firmware I never had the problem you're having though. Have you updated the firmware?

One thing I really wish is that they'd let us name the different settings. Two or three I can remember, but can anyone honestly keep track of six or seven different sets of settings without some sort of hint?

-Ray

Thanks Ray,
Yes, I've updated the firmware. Unfortunatley, I didn't have a chance to try the custom settings before I did the upgrade, so I don't know if was working properly or not. I just spoke with Fuji again and they said they'll get back to me about it. hmmmmmm.
I've always felt the same way you do about the custom settings, you should be able to label them for easier recognition. Also, it would be nice if you could see in the viewfinder or lcd which setting you were in.

Thanks for your response!
Kris

Custom settings aren't here to stay, you select one, then change whatever you wanna change as you go. This will then be your new Basic setting. Basic simply is the name for the current setup of the camera, which can change any second.

C1 to C7 are stored, user defined parameter sets you can quickly select. It's quite simple and straightforward. If you changed something and wanna get back to a certain custom set, simply reselect it. Btw, changes to a freshly selected custom set in the Q menu are marked with a red dot. But once you select the Q menu the next time, all these changes will simply be part of your current Basic setting.

Back