Fuji Xs-1

Looks like a great camera to me. I'm pretty sure we had at least a little discussion of it at S.C. and I'd love to hear more about it here.

The XS-1 may be the best full-on bridge camera on the market. I just wish it had full weather resistance. That might be enough to ustify buying it. It's just about the size of an APS-C DSLR (or at least very close to it) which makes one wonder why Fuji just doesn't put an APS-C sensor in it. But if I was going to purchase a bridge camera, it would be the XS-1.

I have one and they are really good! My niece bought it from me a little while ago but it was too big for her needs so it's back and I'll be selling it again to fund an X100 :)

Maybe I can start an 'X-S1 Confidential' thread . . . .

I bought one as a longer-armed brother to my X10: Thought it would be easier on my brain to eseentially only have to remember one set of menus for two cameras. Essentially the X-S is an X10 on steroids. I love mine for lots of reasons, but mostly this:

It's truly intoxicating to go from macros literally inside the lenshood (like the X10, it'll macro right down to the front element, although you get great macro at 135mm equivalent with the standoff distance that allows), then with a few menu prompts and a twist of the barrel, you're out to 600mm. It's magic. Flawless flash. Built like a tank. I leave the house with it, a spare battery (I've yet to use two in one day, they last a long time), the EF42 flash (forget alkalines, use Eneloops), and that's it. It won't replace a 5DMk3 or a D600, but it's a lot of fun for $599, and right now, that matters to me.

My usual MO is to use the X10 when I want to be inconspicuous and I don't need the tele reach, and the X-S1 for everything else.

An X-S2? Gee, I wish . . . . drop the X20 updates into it, where do I sign up? Of course the other thing that occurred to me: Morph this body with an XP/X100 sensor and an X-mount, and use the X lenses, voila', instant SLR without having to deal with Nikon. Who knows?

In my opinion Fuji has always made good bridge cams and the X-S1 seems no exception. My first non P&S digital camera was a Fujifilm Finepix s6000d and the photos it put out were wonderful for my purposes at that time. Obviously technology has come a long way since then, but I've even toyed with the idea of picking one up again just to see what I could do with it now since I was brand new to photography when I had it and knew nothing of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. My love for that Fuji is part of what has me considering the system again. I would definitely recommend the X-S1 to someone who didn't want an interchangeable lens system, but needed more range than something like the X10/X20 offers.

Back