Fuji XT-1 bag.. need suggestions

Karl

Regular
So I'm keeping my XT-1 (probably selling all my Nikon gear, but that's another story) and I need a bag that will hold the XT-1 (with battery grip) and likely 3 lenses. I generally like having the camera in the bag with one side facing up, so it's easy to grab. Ideally want something that looks "not photo" so no black nylon bags..

Any suggestions?

I have a tamrac apache 4 that works perfectly for the setup you describe. XT1/lens attached with rrs plate, two lenses, extra batteries, cable release, multi tool, 10" galaxy tab, and a few other things. It's not the typical black nylon bag.

So I'm still looking for a bag for the XT-1 with grip, and a few lenses. Anyone have any that they are really happy with?

I use a Tenba Mini - It carries my xt1 with 10-24, 18-55, and 55-200 plus 11 & 16 mm Extension tubes. It has a zipper on top for easy quick access. I can carry it with me fully loaded anywhere without a problem. If I want I can also throw my 11" Macbook Air in there and process at a coffee shop on the way home. It works VERY WELL for me.

If you want something a little nicer (and more expensive) look at the ONA Brixton or Bowery. The are built in the same style only a bit nicer and you can get them in leather if desired.

DON'T go for the Ona Brixton. It's heavy for it's size and not especially well made. I had one for about 18 months, as my camera-capable briefcase. It was bloody uncomfortable and the shoulder pad so useless I cut it off and replaced it with a Billingham SP. After a while I realised the illogicality of using a Billingham pad on an inferior bag and replaced it with a Hadley Pro. Months later I got into a debate with a representative of Ona on another website. This individual claimed that their bags are actually designed only to be worn cross-body - a minor detail omitted from even their own website and marketing materials... When I pointed out that other manufacturers managed to produce bags that could comfortably be slung from one shoulder I was fobbed off.
Avoid...

Hmm.. need to hit a local shop that has some of these bags in stock and see what fits well. Being comfortable on the shoulder is a key thing too, but I'm trying to find one that I like how the XT-1+grip draws out of the page. I have a Krumpler bag, but the way the camera sits in it I kind of have to dig it out, and it doesn't stay up on my shoulder well.

Whatever bag you buy, seriously consider a Domke Post Office Shoulder Pad. I have a couple of these that I switch from bag to bag. They make even the slipperiest strap stay on your shoulder. Ugly but effective. Otherwise the best I have found are the Billingham SP series; they come in different widths and colours, are comfortable and are built to last.
Domke FA-031 U.S.P.O. Shoulder Pad-Black: Amazon.co.uk: Luggage
Shoulder Pads

Hmm.. good point. I am a lefty, so will need to find one of these in a store to try it out..

Actually, looking at the pics.. I'm prone to carrying my bags on my left shoulder anyway, so accessing on that side shouldn't be an issue. But, need to see it in person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh - just be wary. I did try one once - the early "slingshot" model - and I just couldn't get on with it because of the way it forced you to wear it cross-body in only one way. I use a photo backpack occasionally to spread the load, and either wear it on both shoulders or alternating one or the other, and ditto with a shoulder-bag. I very seldom wear anything cross-body because I don't find it comfortable (and it ruins the cut of one's suit ;) )

My wife has been after me to get a backpack instead of a shoulder bag because of weight and it slipping.. but never liked that for a photo bag as you have to take it completely off.. so.. the sling might work...

and what's a suit? lol

Heh ;)

My current favourite backpack is a real cheapo from Amazon - this one: Bestek Camera Bag BTDB01 02 03 05 06: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo It looks like sh*t and attracts zero attention but is actually surprisingly well made and comes complete with a rain cover (which works).

The only drawback I found was that the padding in the camera compartment is soft, resulting in anything you put in the top pushing down on your kit. I have got around this (bear with me) by buying one of these: Seal Fresh Storage Container / Sandwich Packed Lunch Box / Meat & Poultry Storer with Lid - Size 140(h) x 210(w) x 300(d) mm - 7.5Ltr : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen if you remove and discard the lid, then use a dremel or something to take off the raised lip that the lid seals on to, you can put it into the compartment within the bag, then the padding goes inside and your kit inside that.

It might sound a bit Heath Robinson but it works really well, provides a bit more protection (the open side of the plastic box is against your back when you are wearing it) and adds effectively zero weight to the total. Result - a discreet but very usable backpack with more than adequate protection for a body and up to five lenses plus assorted chargers, cables, spare batteries and the like. You still have to take it completely off to access your kit, but it is more secure as a result.

Mine has been with me this year to Florence, Pisa, Siena, Chianti, Sorrento, Positano, Pompeii and the Isle of Capri and has proved itself well. The biggest drawback I find to a backpack (other than the obvious access issue) is that some museums and art galleries ban them. My answer is simple; one of the side pockets contains a small folded nylon "shopping bag" that I can pop my "sandwich box" into and stroll around with, thereby avoiding leaving kit in a potentially insecure left luggage facility. It's not elegant but it works...

eh.. still not finding a sling bag that hasn't been discontinued that will work for me.. maybe I do need to go to a backpack...

After a TON of searching (and I mean endless hours browsing bags on Amazon... far too much time...).. I ordered two CaseLogic bags from Amazon over the weekend, one a sling, and one a true backpack. Will report back here after I try them out. Each bag was ~$45 at Amazon, and depending on how they work, might keep both, or send one back (or both).

Found a few other bags that might have worked but at higher price points or that had been discontinued..

I use Billingham bags, the Hadley digital that came gratis with my X-T1 [thank you WEX] when I just use the X-T1 with the 18~135 lens, or the Billingham L2 / 107 depending on how much kit I need.
Plus points with the Billingham are NO velcro apart from the inside allowing compartmentalisation, easier access, comfortable, waterproof, excellent quality, made in England.
Cons, some consider them pricey, however you get what you pay for [unless you buy Leica instead of Fuji!]

My Billingham 107 with X-pro1
X10S9714.jpg

For a small kit (1 body, 3 lenses), my favorite bags are the ONA Prince Street, Billingham Hadley Pro and Billingham Hadley Small. The first two bags have room to spare for additional lenses or an additional body. The Hadley Small would fit a body with lens attached plus two additional lenses. Of the three, I love the Hadley Pro and ONA. The Hadley Small I use on occasions where I want to really pare down my gear and go minimal.

Back