Fuji XT1 Focus Tracking

Starred

Rookie
What are the general best settings on the XT1 to shoot a sequence of frames of a fast moving subject while keeping it in focus?

Thanks. But it is so short that I am not sure what you mean :confused:

My settings are:
Front selection button: C
Drive: CH
Direct AF: AF-C
Release priority: Focus
AF Multi

What should I change in my settings?

use at least a medium sized AF box in the center... IE: at least 3 larger than the minimum.

"You" must move the camera to keep the AF box on the moving subject.

Maybe a future update, will allow the AF box move like the Face Detect AF box.
When I owned an Oly E-M5, the AF box moved with the subject (that is real tracking IMO)

Ok, thanks for all the tips. I took some pictures at the swimming pool and I noticed that when my son dived towards me, most of the frames where slightly out of focus. This specific setting is very hard for the camera I suppose?

Maybe a future update, will allow the AF box move like the Face Detect AF box.
When I owned an Oly E-M5, the AF box moved with the subject (that is real tracking IMO)

I have an EM5 as well and therefore I was a little confused about the 'tracking' of the XT1 :)

Ok, thanks for all the tips. I took some pictures at the swimming pool and I noticed that when my son dived towards me, most of the frames where slightly out of focus. This specific setting is very hard for the camera I suppose?

Yes it is, or at least can be. But tweaking the settings I managed to get quite decent shots with relatively slow zoom XF55-200 in exactly same situation by the pool.

Sorry, I was unclear, basically the settings are already in the table here. So as everyone hinted above:

High Performance from Power management menu
2-3 steps bigger than minimum AF box
Nine inner AF frames
AF-C
Drive Continuous Low (CL)
AF mode: Area
Release Priority: Focus
And Aperture mode, if lightning allows, little bit room for DOF. Very thin DOF easily produces unwanted results.

Of course, there is no need to buy an X-E2 or X-T1 to get crisp shots of fast moving objects. An old X-Pro1 or X-E1 will perform just as well, but you usually only get one shot, as you have to rely on AF-S (S = Single) and use the Autofocus Trick aka "Shutter Mash" Technique.

14869189881_e49486e25d_b.jpg
DSCF7771 by ricopress, on Flickr

14685602279_b68366e902_b.jpg
DSCF7773 by ricopress, on Flickr

XT1 w/ 55-200

Pre-Focus: On
CH
C (front lever)
AF: Area/Single and Center
AF Reticle: Middle (There are five AF Boxes to choose from, ranging from small to large ... or large to small, depending on where you start. I've been told the middle sized box is the minimum sized AF box that incorporates all nine PDAF sensors. So either two clicks up from the smallest or two clicks down from the largest will give you the middle box.)
Release Priority: Focused

Keep the subject in the AF Box as it moves. Then trust in the camera as the EVF is not seamless.

_GA14919-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_GA14920-XL.jpg

_GA14921-XL.jpg

_GA14922-XL.jpg

_GA14923.jpg

_GA14924.jpg

_GA14926.jpg

_GA14927.jpg

Gary

PS- I haven't a clue if Pre-Focus helps or not. But I figure it couldn't hurt, so I shoot with it engaged.
G

Back