Fuji XT1 review by Cameralabs - good detailed review!

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
Fujifilm XT1 | Cameralabs

I like Gordon's reviews - always fair and balanced. Good discussion comparing XT1 with Oly EM1 and Sony A7.

Regarding the XT1's C-AF abilities:

- X-T1 is the only mirrorless camera with a decent sized sensor that can actually keep a subject in motion in sharp focus even at 8fps with a very high success rate. The only other one is the Nikon 1, but its 1 inch type sensor is considerably smaller than the APS-C sensor in the X-T1

- Using the 18-55mm f2.8-4 zoom at 55mm f4, I photographed bursts of marathon runners approaching a finishing line, along with my own kids legging-it towards me across a distance of about 50m. I also repeated the tests under a variety of conditions. In all cases the X-T1 delivered at least an 80% success rate, and in many cases higher still. Indeed on some occasions all of my shots in a continuous burst were in sharp focus, and all when using the camera's top shooting speed of 8fps too.

- The Single AF may not be quite as quick as the latest Olympus and Panasonic models, but it's at least as fast or faster than other rival cameras. The Continuous AF meanwhile is the best I've used on any mirrorless camera with a decent sized sensor, finally allowing us to confidently track a subject approaching or receding at reasonable speed.

- X-T1 is far more successful at continuous AF and tracking action [than EM1]

- Both [the A7 and X-T1] may have embedded phase detect AF points on their sensors, but the X-T1 is far more successful at continuous AF and tracking action.

- Overall the focusing on the X-T1 is a triumph.

Fuji, you've come a long way baby!!

XT1 users, if you turn off image review, is it possible to retain a constant live view without any blackouts, while shooting at 3 or 8 frames per second on C-AF, and thus allow for effective tracking of a moving subject?

Thanks!

Reichman at LuLa brings up some genuine concerns; though his concerns don't apply to my style. Incidentally Fuji's triumph in AF tracking, lauded by CameraLabs, also doesn't apply to me. Yet it's the X-T that's hit all the things on my list for "up grading" to a camera (actually a new system altogether).

My list:
Tactile controls for all exposure 3 controls (aperture, shutter, ISO)
Weather sealing (and weather sealed lenses)
Good implementation of manual focusing aids
Tilting LCD
PC Sync port
Availability of high quality optics

I am seriously thinking about buying the X-T1 and had the opportunity to handle one for a few minutes at the Photography Show, the largest of its type in the UK, and ending today.

I do quite a lot of HDR with my D700, so was interested in this aspect of the X-T1. We know the camera will only handle three shots at 1ev max bracketing, but what did surprise me was it took about 1.5 seconds to complete the three shots. This may not be important most of the time, but I am used to shooting off however many bracketed shots on the D700 at 5fps. The shot rate was very obviously slow.

I queried this with the sales technician. He said that Fuji are aware of the bracketing shortcomings and he expects a firmware update to cover some of this later this year. He changed the memory card to the latest (and v expensive) high speed card for comparison. The difference in shot rate was not significant - still very slow. Why? The camera is capable of 8 frames/second, but not when exposure bracketing.

I also questioned the lack of a flash system/flash gun with a comprehensive design by Fuji. Again, apparently this is being addressed and there should be something announced later in the year.

One last point: all data in their brochure/specifications is based upon using the newer high speed, and high cost, memory cards. Don't try to use your old cards and expect the the published performance.

I hope this is of interest.

As an aside, I'm still undecided whether or not to purchase. Intuitively, I feel an X-PRO2 will be released within a year, embodying all the features of the XT-1, plus more.

Oh oh, because that was my original question. Can the XT1 retain a constant live view without any blackouts, while shooting at 3 or 8 frames per second on C-AF?

No camera in the world with a mechanical shutter (and those with mirrors are even worse) can do this.

Well, except for the X-Pro1, of course, but its OVF is kind of cheating, because it isn't TTL. ;)

Hmmm ... in theory, shouldn't Sony's SLT thingamajig allow for constant live view w/o blackout when mechanical shutter closes? Or maybe not. This engineering stuff is beyond my pay grade.

maybe if it also had an electronic rear curtain shutter along with its electronic front. i would still think there would be a moment of blackout even with electronic shutter. but a high speed display readout would be too fast to even notice . i'm just guessing, of course.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Back