Fuji XT1 Vs XE2 AF - Thoughts

Markez79

Rookie
If you already own the XE-2, is the AF performance of the XT1 really that much better.

I know ergonomics etc are different so I don't want to focus on that. The most important factor for me is the AF-S focus speed and the predictive nature of AF-C.

Thanks

Mark

Pretty much the same, I reckon.

RIco,

There seems to be some conflicting reviews on the web at the moment regarding AF performance of the XT1.

The latest review that I have seen on Fuji Rumours states that when using AF-C and 8 fps then the centre 9 AF points offer predictive tracking whereas when using 3 fps all the AF points offer predictive tracking.

Is this correct? I thought the XT1 only offered predictive tracking on 3 fps??

Thanks!

Mark

Quote from the review I'm referring too:

The only drawback to the continuous focus mode of the X-T1 is that at the 8fps continuous high mode it only uses the central 9 focus points. This can be very limiting, although for much wildlife and sports photography this is usually sufficient. In continuous low mode of 3fps all focus points can be used.

UNQUOTE.

This review was a 'proper' review of thwe XT1 being used by a pro photographer alongside his Nikon D4.

From a personal point of view, its a shame he is wrong...!!

Well, the review is technically correct. You can use all focus points, just not all of them are predictive. Actually, you also select all points at 8 fps. The outer points are only dimmed, not unavailable. It's just that those outer points won't track at all at 8 fps, neither predictive nor nonpredictive. Hence they are dimmed at 8 fps. Makes sense to me as are clear indicator.

It's not rocket science: CDAF can't predict. PDAF can. PDAF area is inner 9 points.

It's not rocket science: CDAF can't predict. PDAF can. PDAF area is inner 9 points.

I dunno, is it that simple? With enough processing power at least CDAF could move in closer or further depending on the rate of the tracked target's apparent size increase or decrease.

hehe. their af is pretty fast though. the a77 successor is said to be even faster. i'm just wondering if that's still going to have the translucent mirror. their FF 4K camera better not. or my zeiss glasses go up for sale. actually, if it miraculously handles low light better than the 5dm3, i'll hang around. i already jumped ship from the nex line.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Back