Fuji XT2 RAF files on iPad - Import works but without showing pictures

MatthiasX

Hi to all!

I'm new to fuji and my brand new xt2 has arrived this weekend and I'm pretty happy.

But there is one thing:
I am very interested in importing the raw files via SD-Adapter to my ipad for editingt in lightroom mobile one the go.

There is a tutorial by Elia Locardi on Petapixel and it seems to work well:
http://petapixel.com...ghtroom-mobile/

But I have issues with the raw support of iOS 10. And I can't figure out why:

On my iPad Air 2 (and as well as on my iPhone 7) I am able to import the RAW files from the xt2. But during the import (and in the photos app as well) iOS does not show/preview the pictures. As soon as they are imported from the photos app to lightroom mobile, everything seems to works fine. But without seeing which files I am importing to the iPad, the whole workflow is ridiculous.

Any ideas why iOS does not display the raws? It worked pretty well with the dng from my pentax...

Thanks for any feedback
Matthias

You can't view thumbnails of X-T2 raw files on a Mac either right now. Apple has not released an update to make the new T2 raw files viewable on their devices yet.

Maybe the iOS version isn't up to speed, yet. We can work with X-T2 images in Lightroom mobile, as they are automatically converted to small DNGs. So at least the editing works.

My Apple systems can't show the RAW files either. I believe Apple just hasn't updated the O/S yet to handle it. My preference is Lightroom and Lightroom handles them very well, but without Lightroom likely the simplest solution is to shoot RAW + jPEG and view the jPegs until Apple updates or you find a converter (Like Lightroom) you are comfortable with.

So I guess, we have to wait. But its interesting, that it seemed to work in the video from Elia Locardi. Maybe it was because preproductio, or something?

I'm a big fan uploading files to iOS devices. I m currently using a fuji x-pro2 and the raf files are visible with uncompressed files, but not with compressed.
I also noticed some other strange occurrences with compressed raf file. When I use Lightroom to import to dng, I occasionally get duplicate raf files added to the folder. It seems that fuji may have a unique algorithm for compression.

Mh, that rises the question if it is really possible that the X-pro2 raf files are different from the xt2. Im shooting uncompressed for sure. I just double checked.
I would still be happy if somebody could confirm, that it is "normal" that its not working. I'm still wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with Apple. It worked fine before the last update for ios.
I haven't updated my wife's iPad and it works fine on her system.

Jerry

I contacted Apple today. They say xt2 is not supported by iOS 10. No explanation why iOS 9 is working and no roadmap if the will fix it. The see the problem at fuji.

Back