Olympus XZ1 question

moonshine

Hi eveyone
I'm new to this forum as in i've never posted anything here but have been reading the threads!
I recently bought an xz1 and had a question...how do you shoot in a square format? Is that something you adjust in camera or in pp? Is there something in the menu that i don't know? Please help!

Hello, moonshine and welcome! Yes, the XZ1 can indeed be set up to take square photos. When you're on the picture-taking screen, press OK and it will highlight a set of choices on the right. Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight the one that probably shows 4:3 or maybe 3:2. Use the right arrow to select 6:6 at the bottom of the screen, then press OK again. You should be good to go!

Hello, moonshine and welcome! Yes, the XZ1 can indeed be set up to take square photos. When you're on the picture-taking screen, press OK and it will highlight a set of choices on the right. Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight the one that probably shows 4:3 or maybe 3:2. Use the right arrow to select 6:6 at the bottom of the screen, then press OK again. You should be good to go!

Thank you! :)

By the way, I don't know why square format is listed as 6:6 instead of 1:1. Probably some artifact from the film days...?
You are correct Chuck, I believe that 6x6 refers to centimeters not millimeters, so a 6x6cm image would be slightly over a 2-1/4 inch x 2-1/4 inch square film negative.
Bobby

Thanks, Bobby; that makes sense. My brain is programmed non-metric, so I struggle with the conversions when I have to make them. Fortunately, my iPhone has apps for that... :)

I have been hemming and hawing about getting the XZ1 for over a month now, after having sold the LX5 ;)

I went the other way, sold my XZ-1 and got a LX5.
To be honest the main difference is the 24mm wide end which is very nice on the LX, it's even wider in 16:9 mode, but of course you lose height so it's a bit give and take. Image quality is about equal when talking RAW, the JPEG engines are different of course. I prefer the Oly colors in JPEG, but not the smearing.

I'm also considering going with the RX100, it looks very tempting. But I'm holding out to see what else pops up. An Olympus XZ-2 or a Ricoh GRD V with the RX100 sensor would be awesome.

I went the other way, sold my XZ-1 and got a LX5.
To be honest the main difference is the 24mm wide end which is very nice on the LX, it's even wider in 16:9 mode, but of course you lose height so it's a bit give and take. Image quality is about equal when talking RAW, the JPEG engines are different of course. I prefer the Oly colors in JPEG, but not the smearing.

I'm also considering going with the RX100, it looks very tempting. But I'm holding out to see what else pops up. An Olympus XZ-2 or a Ricoh GRD V with the RX100 sensor would be awesome.

Never having sold a camera before, getting rid of the LX5 was quite a traumatic experience. Like you, I think I'll wait for Photokina as well, before picking up another camera. The RX100 does look promising, but having used a Sony camera before, I'm just not that convinced about their WB performance. There's something about the mix of yellow and red and the subdued blue channel that doesn't do it for me. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but I've never been able to get a completely satisfactory image SOOC.

Just that the speed at which you made up your mind about the camera was impressive. I have been hemming and hawing about getting the XZ1 for over a month now, after having sold the LX5 ;)

i go through cameras like crazy..always wanting to try new ones :)

Back