Film Yashica Electro 35 with digiFilm

Yes, shades of the Ricoh GXR and its lensor concept. Artificially controlling the film 'type' with an interchangeable hardware component seems bizarre.
I'm still waiting for a magic device that fits into a film canister and puts a digital sensor behind the shutter curtains so you can turn any analog camera into a digital one. That would be cool.

Yes, shades of the Ricoh GXR and its lensor concept. Artificially controlling the film 'type' with an interchangeable hardware component seems bizarre.
I'm still waiting for a magic device that fits into a film canister and puts a digital sensor behind the shutter curtains so you can turn any analog camera into a digital one. That would be cool.

This has come up many times on the internet for April's 1st.

Yup. Although as well as fodder for April 1st pranks, there appear to have been a few real attempts which never got very far - History doomed to repeat itself? Project promises digital cartridge for film SLRs

Suspect modern technology would let you pull it off a little better now but the market wouldn't really be there (eg use your phone to review/transfer pictures or control ISO & micros SD cards + better batteries for example).

So you mean I can't use my Nikon N8008s as a Digital Camera!

21525007985_2e963568e3_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
kodak_front by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

If a company wanted to make a digital back for a 35mm film camera, they could- and it would be much smaller than this 25 year old camera with it's 80MByte internal SCSI drive.

I'll not buy this one, though I have to admit it has a certain appeal - and the price is low enough, actually. But the sensor is comparable to the one Nikon put into its cheapo kids/family/beach cam (the current model is the W100), and that one's really, really garbage. My godson still likes his little blue Nikon, mind ...

M.

It's a fixed focus - fixed aperture lens like on a toy camera. The price is a little too dear for a toy camera, especially since you can buy a LOMO or Helga for much less than that and use real film. Or, better yet, buy a YASHICA Electro-35 for around a hundred dollars and get a real rangefinder camera with a seriously good quality lens.

It's a very cool concept, based on the kickstarter results, many others believe so as well. I'm all for anything like that which sparks interested in photography :)

Back