Film Yashica Mat, should I buy it?

Cerita

Veteran
I want to try medium format, and there is a local sale for a Yashica Mat camera. What do you think of this camera? It looks to be in very good condition and the seller has used it, he says everything works fine. Just want to some opinions before I commit to buying this for $200 :). I believe it's an earlier model and not one of the "newer" 124G models.

$200 seems like pretty much middle of the road price-wise (for older models) - provided everything is working as advertised. TLRs are a breed of their own - if you don't mind slowing down and getting the hang of the way the viewfinder works and the camera handles, it's a very nice, quiet way of shooting (no mirror slap - but the shutter isn't as soft as it could be, probably).

M.

$200 seems like pretty much middle of the road price-wise (for older models) - provided everything is working as advertised. TLRs are a breed of their own - if you don't mind slowing down and getting the hang of the way the viewfinder works and the camera handles, it's a very nice, quiet way of shooting (no mirror slap - but the shutter isn't as soft as it could be, probably).

M.

I am actually looking for exactly this, a slower way to shoot, using a tripod and a cable release and shooting buildings and details etc. Thank you for your thoughts on this, I am inclined to get it because I looked on Ebay and the prices are quite high. In fact yesterday I was on my way to look at a 124G in mint condition, but someone beat me to it and the price was a lot higher ($400).

I want to try medium format, and there is a local sale for a Yashica Mat camera. What do you think of this camera? It looks to be in very good condition and the seller has used it, he says everything works fine. Just want to some opinions before I commit to buying this for $200 :). I believe it's an earlier model and not one of the "newer" 124G models.

I haven't used the 124. But the 124G was a great experience. It was my first TLR. Lighter and smaller than my current Mamiya C330. My light meter still worked and it was reliable enough. Waistlevel viewfinder never gets old for me.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, sadly the seller wasn't able to sell it as he realised the half and 1 second shutter speeds were too fast, so the camera needs repair. There is a 124G on offer too but it's $400 Cdn., apparently has been serviced about 4 years ago by a gentleman in the US, who worked in the Yashica factory. I have to think about it.

I've heard good things about the Yashica TLR's but never used one myself.

From a price perspective you might find the Collectiblend website a useful guide - it gives prices on different cameras & brands (also has a lens section) -
Yashica: Yashica-Mat 124 Price Guide: estimate a camera value

AdamSF over at mu-43.com often posts pictures from his Yashicamat 124G - you could check his flickr stream -
My Full Frame is Film

As a rule of thumb, when I want something, but am in doubt, I buy it. The chance may or may not come again, but the piece will stay with me if I get it. After all, I am not risking anything and if I decide I don't want it anymore, I can always resell it. So, in short - it is always better to get it than not get it :))

I am actually looking for exactly this, a slower way to shoot, using a tripod and a cable release and shooting buildings and details etc. Thank you for your thoughts on this, I am inclined to get it because I looked on Ebay and the prices are quite high. In fact yesterday I was on my way to look at a 124G in mint condition, but someone beat me to it and the price was a lot higher ($400).

Do not buy a 124. It is a HUGELY overrated camera. A lot of the internals are plastic. Get an LM, EM, or an earlier Yashica. I have an EM and love it. It is my walk around medium format. The meter is no longer working but with a basic light reading, you can do the rest in your head based on conditions. Find one with a Yashinon, which is basically a Tessar. The other Yashica lenses are goo but the sharpest ones are Yashinon. I got mine for $50 and spent $90 on a full CLA. It is flawless.

Here is a link to photos I have taken with mine.
Yashica EM TLR

As a rule of thumb, when I want something, but am in doubt, I buy it. The chance may or may not come again, but the piece will stay with me if I get it. After all, I am not risking anything and if I decide I don't want it anymore, I can always resell it. So, in short - it is always better to get it than not get it :))

Wise advice, I lost out twice LOL. These are getting harder to find too.

Do not buy a 124. It is a HUGELY overrated camera. A lot of the internals are plastic. Get an LM, EM, or an earlier Yashica. I have an EM and love it. It is my walk around medium format. The meter is no longer working but with a basic light reading, you can do the rest in your head based on conditions. Find one with a Yashinon, which is basically a Tessar. The other Yashica lenses are goo but the sharpest ones are Yashinon. I got mine for $50 and spent $90 on a full CLA. It is flawless.

Here is a link to photos I have taken with mine.
Yashica EM TLR

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I might have a chance to purchase an EM version (I hope). Lovely pictures BTW.

Oh gosh, I just bought a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II from Japan!!!!! Yikes! Yikes! Yikes! I know this camera is a tank at 3 kgs or whatever it weighs, but it's medium format LOL! It comes with a 120 back, 90/3.5 lens (standard), a grip, and a pentaprism viewfinder. Am I loca or WHAT? LOL!

Bellows focusing sure is nice! buying a waistlevel finder will reduce the weight noticeably. Still heavy. But the pentaprism viewfinder adds considerable heft! congrats!

Thanks! The price was right LOL and looks to be in near mint. Well, I did want a slower photography experience and this certainly will be giving me just that. I'll look around for a waist level finder.

Thanks! The price was right LOL and looks to be in near mint. Well, I did want a slower photography experience and this certainly will be giving me just that. I'll look around for a waist level finder.

Congrats! Its worth having a good read of the manual & checking out online video guides for these. Also try the various buttons & levers at home - I recall fiddling with the back rotation on my older RB and accidentally detaching it; luckily I was sitting on the couch or I could have crushed my toes as the body separated.

You're in for a treat, the lenses are sharp and there isn't a whole lot to go wrong with it (OK, the backs can be fiddly but spares are cheap).

Congrats! Its worth having a good read of the manual & checking out online video guides for these. Also try the various buttons & levers at home - I recall fiddling with the back rotation on my older RB and accidentally detaching it; luckily I was sitting on the couch or I could have crushed my toes as the body separated.

You're in for a treat, the lenses are sharp and there isn't a whole lot to go wrong with it (OK, the backs can be fiddly but spares are cheap).

Thanks. I just downloaded the manual from Mamiya as I am sure the one with the camera is in Japanese. I am excited LOL!

Well that was short lived, turns out the guy put the wrong price on the camera so he pleaded with me to cancel and I did. It sounded too good to true at $350. Ah well.

Back