Yet another addition from mu-43

Hi Lyle, I believe it's your turn to set the post processing challenge.
@Kevin ,

In your view, would running a post-processing challenge run afoul of your rules here? In brief, the host/challenge-master provides a source image and participants process it to taste and post the results. The host selects the winner (and runner-up as a backup), and the winner (or runner-up, if necessary) becomes the host for the next challenge. Any problems or restrictions?

@Kevin ,

In your view, would running a post-processing challenge run afoul of your rules here? In brief, the host/challenge-master provides a source image and participants process it to taste and post the results. The host selects the winner (and runner-up as a backup), and the winner (or runner-up, if necessary) becomes the host for the next challenge. Any problems or restrictions?
I don't see it running afoul of anything since all of the entrants would be opt-in and the mechanism is how the current ongoing challenges are done (Thread creator picks a winner, winner creates a new thread for next challenge, they pick a new winner, new winner creates a new thread, and it goes on).

Is the existing Challenges forum OK for such a challenge? Would a new sub-forum in Challenges be needed? @MoonMind from our moderators team has been doing an outstanding job of organizing our challenges here so I'm pinging him for his input.

If it's just a matter of kicking off a new challenge type and keeping an eye on it, Matt is the resident go-to. If anything is needed from the resident Code Monkey (New sub-forum? New thread prefix? Something else?) then it'll be easy enough for me to set it up. 👍

I don't see it running afoul of anything since all of the entrants would be opt-in and the mechanism is how the current ongoing challenges are done (Thread creator picks a winner, winner creates a new thread for next challenge, they pick a new winner, new winner creates a new thread, and it goes on).

Is the existing Challenges forum OK for such a challenge? Would a new sub-forum in Challenges be needed? @MoonMind from our moderators team has been doing an outstanding job of organizing our challenges here so I'm pinging him for his input.

If it's just a matter of kicking off a new challenge type and keeping an eye on it, Matt is the resident go-to. If anything is needed from the resident Code Monkey (New sub-forum? New thread prefix? Something else?) then it'll be easy enough for me to set it up. 👍
I don't think a special sub-forum is necessary, but if Matt thinks so, it's fine with me. The challenges would generally last a few days each, so we could average about two per week if there is that much interest. One thing that I would like to do is put the rules in a separate thread which can be included by reference in each challenge. That thread can also serve as a change-log showing the evolution of the rules as they are tweaked over time, so folks can see what has been changed and maybe understand why.

I remember participating in quite a few of the PP challenges. They were a lot of fun. I just took a look at my mu43 profile. Ten year anniversary this month.

I don't think a special sub-forum is necessary, but if Matt thinks so, it's fine with me. The challenges would generally last a few days each, so we could average about two per week if there is that much interest. One thing that I would like to do is put the rules in a separate thread which can be included by reference in each challenge. That thread can also serve as a change-log showing the evolution of the rules as they are tweaked over time, so folks can see what has been changed and maybe understand why.
I'd certainly appreciate and support post-processing challenges! I also think we could run them as our usual "Cameraderie Challenges": In the general "Photo Challenges" section, with appropriate titles (I don't think a specific subsection is needed). So, whoever wants to start a first one could set it up, call it "Cameraderie Post-Processing Challenge #1" (or similar) and ideally propose a set of basic rules (or maybe just expectations - or at least an invitation to do one's best).

In order to make it appear as an open challenge on the front page, the "Challenge" prefix should be used; it's also good style to set a start and end date (as in: "More options ..." -> choose the dates).

"Winner launches the next one" has been quite a successful modus operandi to provide us with a series of similar challenges.

If you need to know more, just ask. If I forgot something important, propose a solution.

Whoever feels like kicking this off: Take pride in being our first host!

M.

P.S. I'll repost this (in a slightly revised fashion) as a proposal in the "Photo Challenges" section in due course (i.e. tomorrow, my time, in order to do it properly).

EDIT: P.P.S. Lyle has more or less nailed it! I think we'll be able to copy this over with only minute adaptions ...

Last edited:
@Kevin @MoonMind @RichardC @RobD @mnhoj

Shall we name the new challenge "Digital Darkroom Derby"? Here are my proposed initial rules (they may seem familiar):

Digital Darkroom Derby Rules:
  • The Host will provide one or more images to use as the primary basis for submissions, as well as a closing time for entries (approximately 60-hours).
  • Participants should post their entries at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  • Each participant may submit up to two entries per Derby.
  • At the close of the Derby, the Host will select a Winner and at least one Runner-Up.
  • The Winner of the current Derby becomes the Host of the next.

Notes:
  • Images provided by Hosts must be their own and may be used solely for the purposes of the Derby.
  • Participants are free to use traditional and/or "creative" techniques to process and edit their entries.
  • Participants are encouraged, but not required, to share the tools and techniques used for their entries.
  • Limited compositing from additional sources is allowed if donor images do not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions or the forum's Terms and Rules.
  • The Host's decision is final. The Host is encouraged, but not required, to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner.
  • This is all for fun and judging can be hard, so even if you disagree with the results, please be kind.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Derby within four days, hosting honors pass to the next Runner-Up.

Shall we name the new challenge "Digital Darkroom Derby"? Here are my proposed initial rules (they may seem familiar):

Digital Darkroom Derby Rules:
  • The Host will provide one or more images to use as the primary basis for submissions, as well as a closing time for entries (approximately 60-hours).
  • Participants should post their entries at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  • Each participant may submit up to two entries per Derby.
  • At the close of the Derby, the Host will select a Winner and at least one Runner-Up.
  • The Winner of the current Derby becomes the Host of the next.

Notes:
  • Images provided by Hosts must be their own and may be used solely for the purposes of the Derby.
  • Participants are free to use traditional and/or "creative" techniques to process and edit their entries.
  • Participants are encouraged, but not required, to share the tools and techniques used for their entries.
  • Limited compositing from additional sources is allowed if donor images do not violate any licensing or copyright restrictions or the forum's Terms and Rules.
  • The Host's decision is final. The Host is encouraged, but not required, to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner.
  • This is all for fun and judging can be hard, so even if you disagree with the results, please be kind.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Derby within four days, hosting honors pass to the next Runner-Up.
Great proposal, including the name! I just don't think we need the resolution restriction - the forum software takes care of that; however, we might want to think of a way to provide RAW (or source) files via the forum *without compression*; if that's not feasible or deemed impractical by @Kevin, it should be mentioned that the host has to find a way of providing the appropriate source file ...

Apart from that, I'd say take it and run with it!

M.

Great proposal, including the name! I just don't think we need the resolution restriction - the forum software takes care of that; however, we might want to think of a way to provide RAW (or source) files via the forum *without compression*; if that's not feasible or deemed impractical by @Kevin, it should be mentioned that the host has to find a way of providing the appropriate source file ...

M.
From my experience, keeping the sizes roughly similar helps with comparing/judging (quite often, entries will be quite similar) and some folks still have slow internet. We have previously used exterior storage like Dropbox and Google Drive to provide both raw and jpeg source images for challenges. It hasn't been a problem. But if you have an in-forum solution, do tell!

I'm following the conversation....

Matt is correct, if an "image" file, such as a JPG or GIF, is attached then the software will automatically shrink it down & try to optimize the size of it. Unfortunately there is no way turning that off/on based for any specific forums or threads.

For the raw files, the software restricts attachments by specified file extensions. At the moment only image file extensions are in the 'allowed' list (so no .zip files or other non-image files). The software is smart enough to also check file extensions against the file type (so somebody can't try sneaking in one file type by giving it a different extension).

From my experience, keeping the sizes roughly similar helps with comparing/judging (quite often, entries will be quite similar) and some folks still have slow internet. We have previously used exterior storage like Dropbox and Google Drive to provide both raw and jpeg source images for challenges. It hasn't been a problem.
That makes sense and sounds like you guys have run into the exact same scenario in the past of how to show the original files without having the forum software touching the files. 👍 My only question is that when a link to a file is included to Dropbox or Google Drive (or other hosting site) is it made clear that the link is to some other spot? If not, would you guys mind including some type of wording or indicator to make it obvious that if anybody clicks on the link to the file that the file is coming from somewhere else? :) Other than that, I'm really looking forward to these types of challenges!

Just an observation- we also have a Film forum here, and there are some very interesting techniques for wet darkroom "post-processing". Anything from cross-processing using different chemicals, to optical techniques such as solarization, etc. Of course all the images need to be "Digitized" for display. So in the end- digital images, just attained differently. Many of the digital post-processing techniques are modeled on the original Film techniques.

Postscript: Did not realize an image was provided and the challenge was for everyone to process the same image. "My Bad!"

Last edited:
Interesting! I thought m4/3rds had become very quiet, and while I had known about this place, I didn't think to come back here until I saw a link today. Thanks John.

I noticed that days could go by with only a few new posts ..... so it seems people have migrated?
Yeah, Rose, almost all the regulars have decamped to here.

VScope have made a once thriving forum into a ghost town. Well done ... :( .

Back