Yet another EDC / casual carry / preference change thread

In terms of what lenses to pick: I found that for a prime kit, I don't even need a short tele, usually. Wide (24mm-e rather than 28mm-e), moderate wide (35mm-e) and (long) normal (50mm to 60mm) makes a really nice walkaround combo if you aren't afraid to get close in a pinch. That's why your idea of wide-to-slight-tele zoom is appealing, I think, but the prime route may be even more rewarding. If you're keeping the X70, the 18mm seems redundant, though. I don't know my way around the Fuji system, but isn't there a smallish 16mm you could use (I know there's the great, yet huge 16mm f/1.4 - but I guess that's totally out of character ...)? My personal next lens would either be the 27mm (tiny!) or 35mm f/2 (the "normal" lens) anyway ... But maybe I'd be choosing out of habit, not out of a compelling reasons ...

I'll add a little tale here: Yesterday, out of a whim (or mischief, who knows), I (only) pocketed the Sony A7 II with Samyang 35mm f/2.8 instead of just about everything else - this may be interesting for you because that's a combo that gives me more or less the same kind of images you can get from the X-E3/23mm setup. While I have used this combo quite a bit, I never considered it sufficient - it seemed more like a minimalist setup than a versatile one; somewhat toyish, to be honest. However, I'm growing to like it quite a bit because what it does pretty much corresponds to what I see, and it's uncomplicated and good enough for very pleasing results, not up there with the very best, but certainly very nice. I would have like to have the 24mm and 55mm (my other two lenses for the system) around a couple of times, though - I had to pass on a couple of opportunities ... I really should have taken at least the 24mm as well. But maybe it'd taken away from the experience. I guess the bottom line is, you might want go out and shoot the 23mm for a while to see what it can do for you before deciding on what to get next.

M.

Now I need to figure out the best post SW. I have Skylum, waiting for the library mod release. But LR 6.14 is my main image processing SW.

You should give the Capture One Express for Fuji version a try, since it is free. A lot of people are using the C1 express version paired with Affinity Photo, which is a one time fee of $50, as a complete replacement for the Adobe package.

I don't know my way around the Fuji system, but isn't there a smallish 16mm you could use (I know there's the great, yet huge 16mm f/1.4 - but I guess that's totally out of character ...)?

There is a 16mm 2.8 which is the size of the Fuji f2 trio set for release in 2019.

In terms of what lenses to pick: I found that for a prime kit, I don't even need a short tele, usually. Wide (24mm-e rather than 28mm-e), moderate wide (35mm-e) and (long) normal (50mm to 60mm) makes a really nice walkaround combo if you aren't afraid to get close in a pinch. That's why your idea of wide-to-slight-tele zoom is appealing, I think, but the prime route may be even more rewarding. If you're keeping the X70, the 18mm seems redundant, though. I don't know my way around the Fuji system, but isn't there a smallish 16mm you could use (I know there's the great, yet huge 16mm f/1.4 - but I guess that's totally out of character ...)? My personal next lens would either be the 27mm (tiny!) or 35mm f/2 (the "normal" lens) anyway ... But maybe I'd be choosing out of habit, not out of a compelling reasons ...

I'll add a little tale here: Yesterday, out of a whim (or mischief, who knows), I (only) pocketed the Sony A7 II with Samyang 35mm f/2.8 instead of just about everything else - this may be interesting for you because that's a combo that gives me more or less the same kind of images you can get from the X-E3/23mm setup. While I have used this combo quite a bit, I never considered it sufficient - it seemed more like a minimalist setup than a versatile one; somewhat toyish, to be honest. However, I'm growing to like it quite a bit because what it does pretty much corresponds to what I see, and it's uncomplicated and good enough for very pleasing results, not up there with the very best, but certainly very nice. I would have like to have the 24mm and 55mm (my other two lenses for the system) around a couple of times, though - I had to pass on a couple of opportunities ... I really should have taken at least the 24mm as well. But maybe it'd taken away from the experience. I guess the bottom line is, you might want go out and shoot the 23mm for a while to see what it can do for you before deciding on what to get next.

M.
The 18mm could be redundant with the X70 EXCEPT AF speed, which the only issue I had with the X70. So not redundant in my little NG bag, I could have the X-E3 and either the 18mm or the 27mm with nice fast AF. But when I have the Bowery it might be redundant since that could easily hold the X70, the X-E3, and the 23mm/27mm/15-45mm (and the 18mm for that matter).

I plan on keeping this kit small, so Bowery or smaller bag, and relativity inexpensive. So yes there are 14mm and 16mm options, but they are both bigger and more expensive. I think my list will be:

18mm f/2 R
23mm f/2 R WR
27mm f/2.8
XC 15-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS

I might get the 50mm f/2, but I'm not really interested in the 35mm f/2, the basic 50mm eq I just don't find suits me other than when it finds it's way for framing on a zoom.

The only question I have at this point is do I replace my Oly 12-40? I have the O12-100 f/4 Pro + E-M1 mkII and got the 12-40 f/2.8 for small indoor events were I knew f/4 wouldn't cut it. But I'll probably take the X-E3 instead. So sell the O12-40 and wait for the 16-80 f/4? Might be on the big side. Probably make more sense to add the 18-55. :hmmm:

You should give the Capture One Express for Fuji version a try, since it is free. A lot of people are using the C1 express version paired with Affinity Photo, which is a one time fee of $50, as a complete replacement for the Adobe package.

There is a 16mm 2.8 which is the size of the Fuji f2 trio set for release in 2019.
Downloaded Express for Fuji this morning. Already have Affinity Photo. ;) Affinity is suppose to be working on a DAM, but last time I asked they didn't have a timetable yet. I've also played around with DxO Photolab, but since they don't seem to support x-trans....

Any information on the release of the 16mm? Or what might be better (at least for me) the 16-80mm f/4 on the road map? I found pictures from back in July, but I haven't heard too much about them since that I can remember. I do wonder how big the 16-80 will feel on the X-E3.

I should add that one of the reason I'm interested in the 15-45 is I found I liked the 21mm eq on the trip I too to Seattle WA. I only took the X70 and WCL, it was just wide enough. Sure there were times I could have used a bit wider. But apart from something like the 10-24 it would probably be enough.

Awesome on you already having Affinity. I’ve found it to be a perfect PS replacement.

Unfortunately there has not been any more information on availability of the 16 2.8 or the 16-80.

@MoonMind I took a good long look at the LX100 II. It seemed to start up a bit faster and the touch screen was handy. But it seemed to take longer than I remember to shut off. Like switch off, put the camera down on the sales counter, count 1....2....3.... and the lens responds around 3 twice.

AF was pretty quick and might have been a solution (probably a cheaper solution as I'm now putting together a little Fuji kit).

@MoonMind I took a good long look at the LX100 II. It seemed to start up a bit faster and the touch screen was handy. But it seemed to take longer than I remember to shut off. Like switch off, put the camera down on the sales counter, count 1....2....3.... and the lens responds around 3 twice.

AF was pretty quick and might have been a solution (probably a cheaper solution as I'm now putting together a little Fuji kit).
Thanks for the additional impressions; I didn't have the LX100 with me when I - very briefly - handled the LX100 II, but if there is a difference (I'll take your word for this), it's not relevant in my book. What I *did* notice though was how much worse the RX100 VI was - that camera takes close to ten seconds to shut down; nothing happens after you press the button for a couple of seconds. Start up is a little better - but definitely inconsistent. So, a firm no-no me once again, lens and AF advantages notwithstanding. Besides, as you say, the LX100's (and LX100 II's) AF system is solid for a compact.

I'm pretty certain by now that I'll trade in both the LX100 and the GR for the new GR III once that's available - because the GR is a camera I really like, and some of the enhancements (I.B.I.S., some sealing, sensor cleaning) would be very welcome. However, I want to know what the new lens is worth before letting go of the GR, and I do have a soft spot for the LX100 - it's still a pleasant camera to shoot in a way hardly anything else can touch (even though the G1X III *is* a better camera overall). But realistically, it's better to switch before something goes stale ...

Anyhow, I think you did very well with your choice; if I wasn't so happy with :mu43: *as a system*, Fuji would have made it into my bag long ago, and the X-E3 and the 23mm would be on top of any list in that respect (I'd probably end up with a X-Pro2, though). Thankfully, I think the GX9 is very competitive even when compared to the X-E3 - so I can appreciate your pick without questioning mine :)

M.

Thanks for the additional impressions; I didn't have the LX100 with me when I - very briefly - handled the LX100 II, but if there is a difference (I'll take your word for this), it's not relevant in my book. What I *did* notice though was how much worse the RX100 VI was - that camera takes close to ten seconds to shut down; nothing happens after you press the button for a couple of seconds. Start up is a little better - but definitely inconsistent. So, a firm no-no me once again, lens and AF advantages notwithstanding. Besides, as you say, the LX100's (and LX100 II's) AF system is solid for a compact.

I'm pretty certain by now that I'll trade in both the LX100 and the GR for the new GR III once that's available - because the GR is a camera I really like, and some of the enhancements (I.B.I.S., some sealing, sensor cleaning) would be very welcome. However, I want to know what the new lens is worth before letting go of the GR, and I do have a soft spot for the LX100 - it's still a pleasant camera to shoot in a way hardly anything else can touch (even though the G1X III *is* a better camera overall). But realistically, it's better to switch before something goes stale ...

Anyhow, I think you did very well with your choice; if I wasn't so happy with :mu43: *as a system*, Fuji would have made it into my bag long ago, and the X-E3 and the 23mm would be on top of any list in that respect (I'd probably end up with a X-Pro2, though). Thankfully, I think the GX9 is very competitive even when compared to the X-E3 - so I can appreciate your pick without questioning mine :)

M.

I think in the end it came down to if I'm happier with the output from my X70 than GX85 why should I get the LX100 II and not the X-E3?

As for my other m4/3 stuff? This isn't going to replace my E-M1 mkII and PL8-18 / O12-100 Pro / P100-300 vII. But the Fuji will be my street, family get together, casual EDC setup.

Only thing that has me wondering is should I have gotten the 18-55 kit for about $50 more? I'm trying to decide if I would have gotten the 23mm if it weren't in the kit.

Only thing that has me wondering is should I have gotten the 18-55 kit for about $50 more? I'm trying to decide if I would have gotten the 23mm if it weren't in the kit.
Tough call ... but mainly for nice reasons: Both lenses are great for what they are - the 18-55 is one of the best kit zooms out there, the 23mm f/2 one of the best compact lenses of its type and FoV for APS-C (if not the best ...). Now, for me, owning a superb 35mm-e lens is always worth it over any zoom, but that's definitely my personal preference. But as the basis for a frugal system, a good kit zoom is very handy (that's why I own the 12-32mm for :mu43: as well as and the new Nikon 24-70mm f/4 S for the Z 6 - both great lenses for their class, yet comparatively compact and lightweight).

So, it really comes down to the question if you're comfortable shooting the amazingly versatile 35mm-e focal length or if a zoom would offer more peace of mind. In my personal opinion, the first option would appeal a lot more, but common sense might dictate the latter.

M.

Well I made the swap. So now I have the E-X3 with the 18-55mm. I think it will work out better for me. I can use the 18-55mm for parties were I don't feel like or need something faster. I'll have the 18mm f/2 and maybe somewhere along the way I'll add the 50mm f/2 or even the 56mm f/1.2

Last edited:
Back