News Yongnuo entering the mirrorless market

Interesting approach, especially if that body were also a phone. You could have a pancake for carry around but you could use other lenses. Of course, that pancake would need a flange distance of -3 mm. :eek: A company like Olympus could just stick a radio in a regular camera and you could pay your provider an extra $10 a month for cell service. This is how an Apple watch with cell service works. I do like the idea of talking to my OMD, however.

If this first model isn't a fully functional phone. I bet that they use the sales numbers to determine about making the next model a full phone. The cell phone crowd is already institutionalized into buying a new device every year. Buying lenses for this mount keeps them buying Yongnuo phones.

Of course, if this takes off at all. Other manufacturers, including Apple and Samsung, could adopt the lens mount into their own phones. Like M4/3 cameras. Which would in turn open up lenses coming from other manufacturers. Use the onboard lens of the phone for quick snaps. And if you want to get more serious, pop a lens on.

Tough sell. I'm not sure Yongnuo has a solid track record on the device side, which to me would be equally as important as the camera side. Coming from a highly integrated phone (and admittedly, fairly competent camera albeit tiny sensored), I have some high expectations (iow, I'm spoiled LOL :D).

The good news is that if it's a minor success, it would put additional pressure on all the dominant makers to get off their duffs and improve their connectivity and upgradability designs on their cameras. Every OEM wireless solution I've used is downright user-unfriendly and inconsistent.

The latest version of the specs confirms that it will be a m4/3 sensor. But with an Canon ef mount. Which to me, will kill it. Had it been a M4/3 mount, able to use all the great, and equally important, small lenses available. This had potential. EF lenses will be huge on this camera. Being able to use a M4/3 pancake to make it a pocket camera. With the option of a bit larger, highly capable lenses in a small gear bag. Would have made this very appealing.

Yongnuo's new Android-powered mirrorless camera is Micro Four Thirds with an EF mount - DIY Photography

Back