Your 2011 Shopping Cart

Pretty low key year for me as I'm happy with what I have. But I've pre-ordered the Olympus XZ-1 (I've been looking for a compact zoom for some time now) and I plan to get the Ricoh GXR APS-C zoom if it comes out this year. I plan to do a lot more printing though, so I might be ordering more paper and ink : )

I want one of those special cameras that they have in NY, Las Vegas and Miami.

(You see them on CSI all the time, and they produce images that, the more you crop/zoom, the sharper and more detailed the image becomes.)

I'm hoping to get the sensor retrofitted into my E-P2, then I can use the 17mm pancake for everything from landscapes to long-distance bird photography, all in a package I can put in my pocket.

Cool ...

Well 2010 was a whirlwind year of buying and selling of cameras and lenses. After the dust settled, I am presently content :rolleyes: with my Sony A33 and Nex-3. For lenses, I have cycled through a LOT of legacy glass and am content :rolleyes: with Takumar glass as it generally high image quality and can mount with adapters on both of my cameras.

So for 2011, I think I only have one lens in mind which is a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 to replace the A-mount kit lens. The other purchase I keep delaying is a Mac ... Deirdre's "one of us, one of us" chant keeps ringing in my head :)

pdh, ha!

For me:
Leica M9
Voigtlander 15mm
Leica 75mm Summicron. (not holding breath!)
Visoflex iii with necessary whatsits

Not shopping per se, but: I hope hubby finds his Rolleiflex so I can play with it. Then it might need accessories.

Summarit 35mm f2.5 - just got one, but will not get my hands on it until March as it is with my daughter in the UK - picked up a mint used one

Bill, congrats on your new lens. Do you still have your M8 ? Issues on dust solved ?

Yes I do - really like it - I enjoy using it etc., etc., - I don't want to go on "singing it's praises" as if I do it will probably decide to have "one of it's quirks" tomorrow. If I only had to have one camera it would be a Leica RF digital - simple as that - I am happy with the M8, (and the cost - I bought it used, vgc, 9 months old with less than 5,000 actuations, for less than Euros 1600) - I like (all) RF glass, everything about, IQ, build quality, feel, etc, etc - Leica stuff is expensive, but very good and "an investment" - Zeiss costs less but is great and CV is very good and fantastic value for money price/performance wise).

maybe one day a M9 ........ but the M8 ......... with a 28mm keeps me happy and the IQ is that good that some (most) crops are far better than using tele lens, (that I can afford), on other cams

I am still waiting for a sensor cleaning kit but I can solve the "minor" dust of sensor problems with Lightroom

but buy a M8 with your eyes "wide open"

My target toys for this year are:

EP3
Possibly Fuji X100 (particularly if no EP3 shows up)
m43 Portrait lens
Possibly 12mm lens for m43 (if someone made one!)

FF mirrorless compact (one can dream...)

Other:
iPhone 4
Maybe an iPad, 2nd generation (likely one of these. Not both)

I am seriously interested in the Fuji X100, as everyone knows.

And now since here in the USA, Verizon has finally gotten its hands on the iPhone that is tempting me as well. When it comes to spending money, I am much better with lump sums than with recurring monthly sums.:) I do wonder if the screen on any of these sorts of phones is really going to be big enough for me. I might do better, eventually, with an iPad...with the 3G or whatever it is...and my regular old cell phone.

The Voigtlander 50/1.1 and 35/1.2 Noktons are in the mail. "Offer that I could not refuse".

The 35/1.2 has been discontinued, and I think mine is the last Chrome lens that cameraquest.com had.

For me:

Olympus 9-18mm or Olympus 12mm pancake (if they indeed are going to make it)
Some legacy macro lens in Canon FD or Nikon mount
Nikon F -> m4/3 tilt adapter (one of the reasons I went m4/3 was widespread availability of relatively cheap tilt adapters)

Also if somebody makes a reasonably fast and compact 50-75mm lens in m4/3 mount, I will be VERY tempted.

And if Apple will update their 13" laptops with Intel quad-core chips, I may get one... Still not decided: my current laptop (late 2008 aluminum MacBook 13") satisfies 90% of my needs.

While this is all about musing and many never happen I am fantasizing about a Santa Barbara 4 x 5 Pinhole Camera. The camera, two film holders, some film, chemicals, processing tanks, and a reasonable scanner should cost a bit more than a LX5.

Ok it is just a fantasy but it is mine!

it really is a serious compact when you compare it to an 8 x 10 :rolleyes:

So for 2011, I think I only have one lens in mind which is a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 to replace the A-mount kit lens. The other purchase I keep delaying is a Mac ... Deirdre's "one of us, one of us" chant keeps ringing in my head :)

Mission accomplished with a twist. I got lucky and found a deal on the zoom lens that I really wanted - a Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-f4.5 lens that is very well regarded. A Mac will have to wait until 2012 as I've gone over budget already:tongue:

The only thing that i wanted ''was'' the x100, but not at $1200.00 bucks. i would pay the 1200 if it had a quiet shutter, but all the vids I have seen and heard, is a turn off to me. aside from that, i am serious;y thinking of an ipod for some reason. no i phone for me. in fact i hate cell phones.

I need :)wink:) a new computer. I would like a 27" i-Mac. My Mac laptop has crashed 4 times now, twice in the first year and now I just don't trust it. It runs really slowly and is becoming very frustrating, especially as Lightroom is meant to be fast by all accounts! I recently bought a Ricoh GXR 50mm so I have a toy to play with. I keep trying to steer myself away from wanting the Leica M9 or maybe an M8.2 with a good 50mm lens would satisfy that want! I generally don't lust after gadgetry that I won't use much, like the i-phone, i-pad etc.

Back