Your best three images from the last year.

emerson

All-Pro
Name
David
If you're like me, photography is both a pleasure and a frustration. A frustration, because perfection [whatever that is] is always another image away.

It seems to me that a thread, over time, could show us how our proficiency and our aesthetic sensibilities evolve.

So, please show us three images you've captured *over the previous twelve months* that you found satisfying. No need to explain why.

I'll start:

40809822713_a597c5637b_c.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

46859521605_c513959eb5_c.jpg

48795731222_fdb6490e68_c.jpg

I'm notoriously bad at judging my own stuff. So who knows. But here are the three that jumped on quick review...

Exactly 1 year ago today: wife giving birth to a little girl, as a surrogate for a French family who couldn't concieve or carry a child. This is the moment my wife handed her over to her mother, less than a few minutes old, for the first skin-to-skin contact.
43943135870_7e94ef1457_b.jpg
DSCF1857P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Moab, Utah, a bit before sunrise.
46767230584_6f36cdd9ea_b.jpg
KBRX8322P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

A short walk to a deep blue clear pond.
48517530247_4fa5ae1e1b_b.jpg
KBRY2785P by gordopuggy, on Flickr

On the one hand, I've finally been settled on the gear/ GAS front, on the other I can see this has not been the best year compared to others. When looking through the last 12 months' snaps, one should be able to see an image and think "yes, that's the one". Hasn't been a lot of that this year. Still, these are 3 which at least I liked.

40755370143_d477bf2681_o.jpg
Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

33894109028_93b2e72f4d_o.jpg
Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

47221865932_af02ab27d2_o.jpg
Sydney Mardi Gras; People by Otim, on Flickr

On the one hand, I've finally been settled on the gear/ GAS front, on the other I can see this has not been the best year compared to others. When looking through the last 12 months' snaps, one should be able to see an image and think "yes, that's the one". Hasn't been a lot of that this year. Still, these are 3 which at least I liked.

View attachment 208409Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

View attachment 208410Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

View attachment 208411Sydney Mardi Gras; People by Otim, on Flickr
The first image is phenomenal - the skateboarder frozen in space draws my attention and makes me observe the rest of the scene after a while.

The first image is phenomenal - the skateboarder frozen in space draws my attention and makes me observe the rest of the scene after a while.
Thanks Graham, the reason it's a fav is that it was the first time I prepared for and properly managed sucessfully to capture something at speed how I wanted using a manual rangefinder.

"My best" tends to change with my mood, but these are among my favorites over the last 12 months:

Almost exactly a year ago on the bank of the middle fork of Feather River, near Portola, CA.
middle-fork-portola10sm.jpg

The day after Spring sprung this year over Indian Valley, California.
mt-jura-mt-hough-pan190422-09sm.jpg

Almost harvest time just last month for one of my tenants.
almost-harvest1910-06.jpg

I havent done much this year, but have been doing a lot of reprocessing instead of being out and about. I really am unsure if these are even from 2019, but they are the ones I’ve chosen from my 2019 folder. Best? Not by a long shot...but for this year... maybe.
215965AB-A246-4E6E-A132-CF33F3C8F18E.jpeg
82CC5B26-3A34-494E-A042-E44D36773ACD.jpeg
7076FDAD-F679-42A5-B183-58FC505AAD82.jpeg

The radiator cap of a lovely 1929 Pierce Arrow model 133 coupe found at the 2019 Hershey (PA) Car Show.
Pierce Arrow.jpg

A chance shot of, Mercedes, (adopted in March 2019) nesting in the laundry.
Waiting LoRes.jpg

A rare quiet moment with Mercedes and her new best friend, Bentley, a big but cowardly guy who has been with us for a while. When they first met it sounded like the outbreak of World War III, but within a week they bonded and were playing, eating and sleeping together.
Pals LoRes.jpg

Last edited:
I've been trying portraits of late.
jake-2.jpg

My dad.
pop.jpg

This is Gabe.
It's a composite of him at five and ten years old. I played with this with a few 500k images a few years ago. Today I dug up the originals(took a while) and reworked it. In a few years I'll add the third instance.
5years_gabe.jpg

Last edited:
The quality of photos that have already been posted in this thread is phenomenal. Wow!

Nevertheless . . .

RX10 Troy sunset 021_stitch.jpg

The above is a 12-panel panorama taken with the RX10 Mk IV and stitched together with ICE.

X10 Peebles misc 034.JPG

rx10 backyard safari 028.JPG

Cheers, Jock

Last edited:
All three of my favorites from 2021 were made with the same gear, a Panasonic GX-7 fitted with an Olympus 40-150 mm f/4-5.6 lens. This has proved to be a great kit for animal portraits.

February 5, 2021 - Mercedes (123 mm, f/5.3, 1/200)
P1120166 LoRes.jpg

Same session (102 mm, f/5, 1/200)
P1120179 LoRes.jpg

August 12, 2021 - Lulu (82 mm, f/4.8, 1/200)
P1120336 LoRes.jpg

Back