Sigma Your camera is on a tripod, you carefully compose the image, focus, set the exposure & then . . .

rogerxnz

. . . you press the shutter button with your bloody great finger and ruin everything!

Now there could be the perfect solution—a cable release adapter so you can take photos with no vibration and no delay!

Take photos the way Ansel Adams and all the great masters did.

Sigma DPP cable release adapter_1027.jpg

Please note that the [PRESS] button end of the cable release is just resting against the cable release adapter and you move and hold it to suit your way of working.

I used to make similar adapters for the Canon G1 and I cannot decide whether to set up for the Merrill's or not.

Let me know if you want one and what you consider a fair price. They are handmade (about an hour for each) because I do not think there will be enough demand to set up for mass production.

I am interested in your feedback.
Roger

Self-timing is a drag when you want to be spontaneous! And there is still the risk that you bump the camera when setting off the timer.
Roger

You're hardly being spontaneous using a tripod surely?
And the point of using the self timer is to allow any vibrations to die before the shutter fires

there are certainly applications for a remote shutter release......specificly when you want to actuate the shutter at a specific time. Timing a jump....a photo at the finish line....macro droplet photography. the 2 second or 10 second timer is very good for some things, but not a do-it-all solution for remote shutter release.

Do you know yet what the materials will cost? You won't sell a ton of them, but if the price is reasonable I am sure you can find a market.

I use a wireless remote with my dslr... macro or even shooting fireworks. Even a cable hanging can cause camera shake in macro photography. In other things I can see that using a cabled remote might be better than a timer should you be waiting for that right moment to come and want to take it. You can't guess timing on some things nor can you anticipate unexpected events that might come up if, say, you are focused on a park or a street, waiting for that decisive moment. A timer is good for posed images or for landscape that will be fairly stable so each method has its strong points. As to your market for this device it will depend on what people feel they need. Your product looks really well made and if you can adapt it for a variety of cameras you'll have better chances of selling it. Good luck!

I agree with ReD. I'd be interested as there's none currently for the DP2M. I'd like a 40" cable. How much for one??? I see 40" cable releases on ebay for $5 average but i don't have the equipment to fabricate the attachment bracket. Price please.

Thank you for your feedback.

I agree self-timing is great for static shots (if you have the time to wait for the camera to fire) but many shots have moving objects, such as clouds, waves and people.

If you want to capture such images at a particular moment, such as, when the light comes through a gap in the clouds to light up a feature in the landscape, self-timing, even for 2 seconds, may mean you miss the moment.

With a cable release, you could take two shots in even just a 2-second delay.

Horses for courses!

The metal from which the adapter is made costs next to nothing. It takes about an hour to make one adapter because I have to cut and finish all the edges and, to give, some rigidity to the adapter, I then fold over a thin seam of the metal along most edges. Folding over a seam means most of the item has smooth edges which are comfortable to handle.

I have had some PM's which indicate there is some demand. I need to know how much people are prepared to pay to decide whether it is worth going into production.

Your comments would be welcome.
Roger

I used to have a steady hand - with the F660 I now have difficulty in holding steady & so shoot at highest speed possible

Although I would like to do long exposure on tripod the camera is limited max 2 -4 secs & in these situations I have to use self timer. No B & no chance of fitting the bracket anyway unless its glued on or strapped to the tripod socket.

but I do see value in this product for precisely the reasons you give & will bear it in mind on next camera selection.

Back