Your Camera Roll Contains a Masterpiece

William Lewis

Hall of Famer
Name
William Lewis
Michael Johnston of The Online Photographer has a wonderful article in The New Yorker:

Your Camera Roll Contains a Masterpiece

In the nineteen-eighties, I studied photography at the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design, not far from the White House. Students were poor and film was expensive. We were amazed, therefore, when a classmate interning at National Geographic told us that a photographer there had returned from an expedition with six hundred and fifty rolls of exposed film. At thirty-six frames per roll, that was 23,400 exposures. There was logic to this overproduction: it was the job of the Geographic’s picture editors to distill all those frames into an article that might include just fifteen or twenty shots, and the editors wanted a surfeit of options. To end up with a small number of visual motifs—cowboys in a bar, say, or branding irons in a fire—they needed to start with a larger number, and, for each motif, they didn’t want a few alternatives but hundreds.

Brute force is one way to get good photos. Another is control. After graduation, I worked for a D.C. photo studio. This was before Photoshop, so everything in our photographs had to be controlled. Once, we had to do an overhead shot, looking straight down, of two models, a man and a woman, on inflatable rafts, floating in a dazzlingly blue swimming pool, facing opposite directions but holding hands. It was overcast when we did our test shots, and we realized that our flash units couldn’t reach through the water with sufficient intensity. On the day of the shoot, we’d be dependent on the sun to illuminate the bottom of the pool. The boss fretted and stressed. All the expense, all the planning, only to have our success depend on acts of nature? It was almost more than a self-respecting control freak could stand.

Nothing here that folks here probably don't already know, but it is very well put together and a quite enjoyable read. I hope some here might find it enjoyable to read the whole thing.

I started to read that from a link I found on the rangefinder forum (I'm allowed to say that here, right?). I thought it was interesting as I'd just started to cull my photos on an old hard drive I'm trying to make space on, for more, you know, masterpieces.
I've yet to find any in my selection process, but it is fun to see how my photographic skills have deteriorated with the more advanced cameras I've acquired.

I think I had more keepers when I used film, and I would carefully consider the composition and exposure of each shot, and wait for the perfect moment before I pressed the shutter (because there were costs associated with each frame of film). In the wonderful world of digital I can take as many photos as I like, effectively for free, which generally results in large numbers of images which would have been better with more care and attention.

Perhaps I should use memory cards which only store 36 images ... 🤔

-R

...but it is fun to see how my photographic skills have deteriorated with the more advanced cameras I've acquired.
Can't say the same for me. I feel my photography has improved quite a bit over the last 10 years or so, ever since I started to work with digital cameras and since I joined a photo club, where I discovered what kind of photography I'm into. Film photography, be it color slides or negatives, frustrated the hell out of me after I quit doing darkroom work.

As for redacting, I regularly revisit my Lightroom catalog and it so happens that some pictures make me look a little bit longer, that's a sure sign that there's something there. Especially street photos need longer to mature, sometimes up to months.

I think I had more keepers when I used film, and I would carefully consider the composition and exposure of each shot, and wait for the perfect moment before I pressed the shutter (because there were costs associated with each frame of film). In the wonderful world of digital I can take as many photos as I like, effectively for free, which generally results in large numbers of images which would have been better with more care and attention.

Perhaps I should use memory cards which only store 36 images ... 🤔

-R
Although a good idea. Finding such a card would be very difficult and very expensive. Gigabytes are cheaper by the dozen nowadays.

I have on more than one occasion, especially since getting my Leica M 240, gone out with my digital and forced myself to go home when I hit 36 exposures. For that matter I used to occasionally go out with my Oly E-PL1 set to monochrome square aspect ratio and came home after 12 exposures to simulate having only one roll of 120 along. The card could certainly hold more but part of the discipline was in the counting. As I result I very rarely "spray and pray" with my digital camera but try to shoot similar to how I did with film.

24? 36? It was a different kind of arithmetic back in the day. Yes, every shot was precious, taken with care and time (except for shots of my young children). Going on vacation meant anticipating the film load, since many of my destinations were far from photo stores or other sources. Colour film (for prints, or transparencies), B&W film? Fixed ASA (IKA ISO). And the most limiting was that once in the camera the canister was committed until completion. No changes for different scenes or locations or whims. I don't miss it at all. Nor am I very interested in B&W photography even though I had a complete B&W darkroom.

I sometimes wonder if photography had first been in colour would anyone have subsequently invented B&W? Perhaps yes, but it would probably have the same general interest atsinfrared.

Digital photography has been liberating, almost joyful.

Back