Your experiences with traveling light?

I recently rented a Lumix GX8 and Lumix 12-35 f/2.8. A nice combination with good IQ, but it was as large as my Fuji X-E1 + Rokkor 24mm combination. I've pretty much given up on my "one lens for all" idea. That's why I originally rented the Lumix duo - to see if it was something that could replace all my gear. In a word - No. My X-T1 and a pair of small lenses fit neatly into my small sling bag. The weight is negligible. I like Fuji, but they are doing like so many other companies - making things bigger. The X-T1 is smaller than the X-T2 and X-Pro2, and the X-H1 to be announced soon is supposedly even bigger. The Oly E-M5 + 17mm f1.8 was a nice, compact combination, and if the stuff I've put on eBay sells, I may just grab the pair again for really compact outings.

Like you, I keep looking for something which can serve all my needs. Haven't found it, except possibly the FZ1000 and that is no lightweight. Perhaps Olympus is the go.

On my last 2 summer trips walking across various parts of Portugal and Spain for a total of about 1400km, I've carried an RX1. Fantastic glass and a big sensor allows for some nice crops when needed allowing for effective focal lengths of 32mm - 80mm without too much degradation to image quality.

@kyteflyer - Yeah, I thought I'd end up with just one camera and a couple of lenses, too. This didn't happen, haha. There was going to be an opportunity to take some portraits and general atmosphere shots at an event, and I figured two cameras would be the way to go (and they were). However, outside of this event, I used the M9 and LX7 most of the time, which meant that I could have left the Olympus in my room when I was out for the rest of the trip.

With a Sony RX0 handling basic travel video and LX7 or LX10 doing pocket duty, and the M9 doing the heavy lifting, I think I've got my travel package sorted out.

The photon spent a day in jail and was set to have his day in court the following morning.

After a rough night on a jail bed, he went to the court. He rose to his feet (to photons have feet?) and the judge said, "You look familiar...have you been up before me before?"

The photon looked nervous and said, "I'm not sure, your honor....what time do you get up in the morning?"

Last edited:
I'm dredging this thread up from the depths because I'm in the same situation as last year. There's a trip at the very beginning of next year and I'm tossing up between whether to go Leica M9 and Panasonic LX10 compact, or M9 and Panasonic GX85 m43 camera. Last time, I found that I was using the M9 and a compact more than the E-M5, but that was probably because the secondary camera was in my backpack, and I had the compact in my pocket. Access = use, so it would appear. At the same time, I bought the GX85 with future travel in mind, so it would seem a waste if I didn't take it overseas! Ugh.

The blurry edges of the LX10 bother me. The centre of the image is very sharp, but the outer quarters get so blurry that detail looks 'doubled'. Not cool. Everything else about this camera is great, apart from not having an EVF like my sadly malfunctioning Panasonic LX7. The alternative is the GX85 with the Olympus 12/2, which is a great lens but not a pocket camera.

I've decided to take a shoulder bag with a quick-set strap, the Artisan and Artist Red Label messenger. It's very light, and I've customized it a bit with a different padded insert. This will make it much easier to get into the bag at will, while hopefully making it easy to walk long distances with the strap cinched tight and the bag high on my back. I might do a practice run or two with this bag and gear setup to see how it fares.

Don't mind me, folks. Just thinking out loud...

RX1R II + Panasonic ZS200 for my vacation:

original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg
original.jpg
original.jpg
original.jpg
original.jpg
original.jpg
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

@serhan - wow, that Sony has the goods. I've been eyeing it for a long time, thinking maybe it's a feasible all-in-one travel camera.

@rayvonn - yeah, the M9 with 50mm Sonnar is a BEAST. Couple that with a 21 or 28 and it covers almost everything I would want for holidays and travel photography.

I find that I take the M10 with the 50mm Summilux for almost everything but also take the Sony A7RIII with the ZM25 2.8 for wider shots. Although I like the RX1 35mm is not a natural view for me and it's slightly lacking now for low light shots. I took the FE 85 1.4 GM with me to Venice but barely used it so not sure if I'll take it with me to Greece next week..... or whether I'll take the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 II for low light just in case..... but then it's getting heavy!

Back