Micro 4/3 Your favorite focal length on M4/3

Name
Andy
Trying to decide what focal length lens (Prime) to go for for my Pen's. I have 50mm f1.8, 35mm f2.4 29mm f2.8 & 28mm f2.8 but nothing less than that. I have the 14-42mm which i will use to see what i prefer but wondered what you guy's preferred. When i had a GF-1 i did love the 20mm f1.7 so thinking that may be the best option even though it's not a retro rangefinder lens. I have said in the past that if i could only have 1 camera and 1 lens that it would be a M4/3 body and 20mm f1.7 lens!

Anyhoo what length get's you going? :eek:

I like my 50mm for portraits. That's probably my most used FL. I use my 16mm on my NEX and that's a lot of fun, too. I am hoping Oly might release a 12mm prime this year. I've also shot with my Takumar 135mm, which is a charmer coupled with these cameras. Mostly for local "parklife" shots (that's "wildlife" in the park).

If I had to pick one focal length in ANY camera, it would be about 35mm (in full frame equivalent), which would be the 17 on m43. I'm real glad I don't have to pick one focal length, because I like everything south of about 20-25 a LOT and find plenty of uses for longer stuff as well. And, regardless, what I (or anyone else) like should have NOTHING to do with what YOU might prefer. What kind of stuff do you find yourself drawn to shooting? When you use a kit zoom, do you find a lot of your shots clustered around any particular focal length? Let these be your guide, not what someone else might like.

-Ray

If I had to pick one focal length in ANY camera, it would be about 35mm (in full frame equivalent), which would be the 17 on m43. I'm real glad I don't have to pick one focal length, because I like everything south of about 20-25 a LOT and find plenty of uses for longer stuff as well. And, regardless, what I (or anyone else) like should have NOTHING to do with what YOU might prefer. What kind of stuff do you find yourself drawn to shooting? When you use a kit zoom, do you find a lot of your shots clustered around any particular focal length? Let these be your guide, not what someone else might like.

-Ray

Well I'm looking for a Rangefinder size lens for my E-PL2 and i prefer (On M4/3) 40mm and below but want something around 21-25mm i think for general walk about and nice vistas. I go to the coast quite a lot during the summer so something that will capture the seaside & street will be ideal. I have a Vivitar 28mm which is a pretty nice focal length but IQ isn't that great plus it's a std size and not small like i want. I will get the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 at some point but something f/2.8 or faster would be really good. At lease i have the 14-42 to see what fits.

Back