Fuji Your first photo with your new X.

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
So I am curious, the first photo that you take with your brand new camera, what is it of? There has been a lot of purchases recently with all the new Fuji gear that came out and will be coming out. What is the first photo you take and do you keep it? I don't have an X camera, however on my dslr I took a photo of my daughter and I actually do have it still. It wasn't artful, it wasn't taken even understanding the controls of the camera. The camera came by delivery, I unboxed it, charged the battery and before I went out to the grocery store.. I took a shot, just one. Anyone else have a memorable moment or actually keep their first image? Maybe if you have it you can post it :D

I got my X-Pro while I was staying in New York City last April. Walked back to my apt from 17th St Photo with the new camera and lenses, charged up the battery, and walked out to take my first few shots with it late that afternoon. I doubt this was the first one I actually snapped, but of those I actually KEPT from that first afternoon, this is the first. About a block from my apartment...

View attachment 10258
NYC 4/2/12 X-Pro 1 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

And a year earlier when the X100 first showed up, this may have actually BEEN the first. Because I don't know why it would still be in my catalog otherwise. Just a nondescript shot of the main street of my small town. No reason to save it other than it was first...

View attachment 10259
DSCF0055 (1) by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Nice, and yeah see those first shots are often the 'I am testing this' kind of shots and we don't really try for anything other than to make the camera work. No file number on that X100 shot to tell you which it was?

Two of the first on my X100 (now sold).

attachment.php

attachment.php

Got the X-Pro 1 used last October. First photo:

attachment.php

No file number on that X100 shot to tell you which it was?
Right, the OBVIOUS thing to check! Its #55, so far from first. I'd expect the previous 54 were probably just around my house trying to figure out how the damn thing worked. The X100 was a cranky beast in those earliest days and took more figuring out than just about any other camera I've ever owned...

-Ray

I'd expect the previous 54 were probably just around my house trying to figure out how the damn thing worked.

Isn't that just how it is too. Same with me.. and each lens I bought were always tested in the house. Still 55 counts because you probably didn't know much of what you were doing yet. Maybe that was your first trip out of the house :)

I bought my used X10 from a C-List ad by a local working pro; with a closet full of D3's and serious Nikon glass, he somehow thought the pics looked sort of 'small sensor-ish' . . . . hate it, but good for me ! Never held one in my hands 'till I met up with him, and never looked back. Went straight home and wondered, 'well, what can I shoot?' Saw this dandelion in the back yard, dialed up Super Macro in EXR Auto, and laid down on my stomach in the grass, and this is what came back:

View attachment 689

Strictly intuitive, I hadn't even looked at the Owner's Manual (and this was my very first digital camera). This is completely SOOC. I looked won at the LCD after I stood up, was dazzled, and haven't looked back since. Alternately, I have NO idea what was the first thing I shot with the X-S1, strange . . .

Attachments

• DSCF1172.jpg
    DSCF1172.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 107
@Tdp - that looks like a lot of my lens test shots in store.. after which I either buy or say nahh LOL

@EBC Wilson - I'm inclined to believe we all try intuitive, first, and then if we fumble we read the manual. Sadly if we feel like we've got it we don't and are quite possibly missing out on some wonderful tips.. but alas.. :)

I'm not sure if this was the first one but it is the first one I still have. When I got the camera I wanted to see the green color and ISO400 and up examples. A=5.6 for this shot.
Hopefully I do not break the rules of the forum (I don't like this beer anyway ;-) ). Otherwise I'll delete the photo immediately.
Peter

Heineken2_ISO400_f56-XL.jpg

Isoterica, you nailed me. I run a constant struggle between

A) Reading the manual first, and it doesn't completely register as I haven't handled the camera enough, and then . . . . .

B) Having used the camera for awhile, I stumble on something else, or read about something in a chat room, look it up in the manual, and have one of those 'D'oh!' moments. After using the X10 I just now noticed when I select a frame size (L4:3, M16:9, whatever) is shows the pixel count of what you've selected (6mp, 12mp, 8mp, whatever) across the bottom of the menu: 'D'Oh ! ! ! '

Hello from Helsinki, Finland. First shot with X-E1 + 18-55 mm in November last year and also first post on this forum :)

Beer seems to be a not entirely uncommon test shot subject. As a friend of ales this is far from my favorite kind, though.

Cheers,
Niklas

8514305480_afd96393b9_b.jpg

copenhagenbeer by nvaristo, on Flickr

Beer seems to be a not entirely uncommon test shot subject. As a friend of ales this is far from my favorite kind, though.

Welcome to the forum, and I think it's almost a requirement to pop open a beer (or other drink of choice) when sitting down to unbox a new piece of gear. No wonder so many first shots fall into this category.

@ pniev - Nice green, looks true to color.

@ EBC Wilson - I know you aren't alone in your methodology-- I doubt half read the manuals

@ nvaristo - Welcome and that is what we call a double!

Back