Fuji Your Fuji photo editor of choice?

I just went back to LR from C1. RAF conversion is good with both imo. As are their versions of film simulations.

Iridient was king back in my early X-trans days. I loved those conversions over the C1/LR. I updated my license with my purchase of the X-T5 and played with it. Very good but not as large a difference now. And you have an option to carry over the film simulation. I doubt that it would transfer "recipes" but that is worth an investigation.

Note: C1 didn't allow me the change of sims/curves/profiles with its DNGs(maybe user error) but LR does.
Interesting to note. If I had one of those wonderful early xtrans models, Iridient would be my go-to.

sat down and ran a few XP2 files through DxO .

Straight off camera jpeg -

DSCF3350dxo2-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DXO processed file. (I didn't use the fancy NR modes, just hit standard "high quality" or whatever they call it ) -

DSCF3350dxo2-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple of early impressions -

• the DXO rendering of the raws are quite soft sooc. Maybe this is a typical Fuji file thing ? I don't know. I ran an Unsharp mask at 110 / 0.4
  • I've added some microcontrast and fine contrast and 15 of Clearview, as i wanted some of the grit that i felt was in the scene "live" to come through in the photo.
  • It's pulled the highlights in the window down really nicely (i could have gone more but i think that would've introduced an unnatural look, the scene really did have a large dynamic range) , and you can lift the dark area's to give some really nice tones without colour blotches starting to emerge. I've lifted some area's , dropped others, to taste.
  • it has really increased the texture in the old chipboard draped across the chair.
  • the file sizes are huge once you start adding fine contrast. 20mp jpeg exported from the raw!

So far , it seems fine. I like the feel i was able to get, it's how i pictured the scene. The sooc jpeg, in hindsight, could probably have the sharpness dialled down a bit, and needed a little bit more under exposure . But i may have shot with the OVF, i cant recall , which obviously introduces an element of guess work.

As a long-time Linux user I've been mostly using Darktable but had tried Rawtherapee on occasion with the files from my X-A1. Now that I have the X-T5 I'll give Rawtherapee another try. And probably Art as well! I tend not to do any drastic editing.

Darktable is my editor of choice. It's a comparatively complex piece of software, but I invariably miss its deep control whenever I try another raw editor. My darktable is rather deeply customized, giving me film simulations and DR modes and C1-like speed edit keys.

I'm another jpg shooter here - at least with Fuji. Processing? Not much. Usually just the Photo app on my iMac. I dunno... as I've gotten older I seem to have "graduated" from obsessing over image processing. I try to get it right in camera and only add minor tweaking afterward. 50 years from now (or even now) the people who matter will only care about the subject in your images, not the way the lens you were using rendered, whether there's a bit of noise in the shadows or if there's enough dynamic range. But this is a hobby, so if others enjoy processing their images, I say God bless 'em and enjoy.

I'm another jpg shooter here - at least with Fuji. Processing? Not much. Usually just the Photo app on my iMac. I dunno... as I've gotten older I seem to have "graduated" from obsessing over image processing. I try to get it right in camera and only add minor tweaking afterward. 50 years from now (or even now) the people who matter will only care about the subject in your images, not the way the lens you were using rendered, whether there's a bit of noise in the shadows or if there's enough dynamic range. But this is a hobby, so if others enjoy processing their images, I say God bless 'em and enjoy.
Exactly my philosophy too Biro, and you have expressed it so much better than I could have done!

I have stuck with Lightroom despite the slightly improved demosaicing of capture One. I learned on Lightroom so I know it extremely well - I found I can import with a preset that adjusts for the differences. I like Lightroom because "plug-ins" are so much more accessible - round trips from Photoshop, Topaz, Luminar, etc., etc allow for so much more development options. Each "Plug-in" is like a whole new Development tab. Also, Adobe has been coming up with improvements lately in Masking and Denise that I really like.

I have tried Capture One, Dx0, On1, etc. but find I keep rotating back to Lightroom.

I am using DXO PhotoLab, version 5 to be exact. This software has been my go-to image processing software since I switched to Micro Four Thirds and upgraded to V5 right away when DXO finally announced X-Trans support with that version. For my very basic style of processing, it is more than enough and I am mostly satisfied with the results.

In addition I'm also using Fujifilm's own X RAW Studio software, however I wouldn't really call it an editing or even processing software, since it basically just provides an interface to communicate with an X-System camera - which also does all the processing. It is quite nice though to experiment with different film recipes, as you can save a virtually unlimited amount of them and since the camera does all the processing internally, you essentially still get sooc jpegs out of it.

I've also used the free Capture One Express version for Fujifilm, which also was mostly enough for my basic needs. I feel Capture One can produce somewhat more pleasing output than DXO, but maybe that's just my imagination.

I have never really tried Lightroom and feel like I am the absolute oddball minority everywhere, so I can't say anything about it. I am not a big fan of their subscription model and that was essentially the major reason why I've never tried it at all.

I'm a Capture One user, but I've been dabling lately with ART.

It's FOSS and very good. It's built on top of Raw Therapee, but both simpler and with more features.

The user forum is here: ART

Good luck.
I downloaded ART and after I found out how to save the edits, I like it. It takes care of Nikon raw files, Olympus raw files, and Fuji RAF files. I think I will like it for editing some of my images with all these different formats. My wife downloaded it and will use it for her light painting on a small laptop.

I was Lightroom user for many years, but after I switch from Canon to Fuji I did try Capture One.
Well.. it not took me long, to see how much potential there is in this software.
Capture One's engine is just superior in controlling highlight than LR, and C1 is way more precise and advanced in color grading.
Beside.. once You try working on layers and understand how powerful tool it is - there is no coming back 😅

Back