Critique Wanted Your image for Critique!

mike3996

Legend
A casual thread for whatever pictures you post, we give critique. I think this whole subforum is a little underused and let's hope this doesn't turn into mess?

Took this today. Kind of like it but can't quite explain why, other than the zigzaggy lines all throughout the image. So I ask you, what's wrong with it? :)

2019-08-17-18-15-MP003520.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Really nice shot! My OCD mightve liked to see the angle / intersection formed by the black fence and the lower one of the stone walls, which is currently out of the frame on the right. In other words, a bit wider angle of view, with perhaps some cropping into a more panoramic aspect ratio.

And thanks for bringing some life back to the photo critiques section!

A casual thread for whatever pictures you post, we give critique. I think this whole subforum is a little underused and let's hope this doesn't turn into mess?

Took this today. Kind of like it but can't quite explain why, other than the zigzaggy lines all throughout the image. So I ask you, what's wrong with it? :)

View attachment 203947
It's a nice image with beautiful color. But it does seem a bit off balance, and it took me awhile to realize that. I think the foreground on the right is throwing it off, there's a lot of empty space that draws attention to itself by being darker than the rest of the image. I imagined that if the whole foreground were devoted to the zigzagging road barriers, it would feel more balanced.

Here are couple of things that make it difficult for my brains to realise how nice picture it actually is.

On the foreground high difference in light on the white zigzag and empty dark area. Secondly the out of focus object so dominant (zigzag) on the foreground.

And the picture is open on the background but squeezed and cut, though. For this picture more ‘air’ for background would work better IMO.

And thanks for bringing some life back to the photo critiques section!

Yep, this subforum sits criminally unused, and I always thought we have all these W/NW threads ... why not have at least one big thread that invites critique?

Really nice shot! My OCD mightve liked to see the angle / intersection formed by the black fence and the lower one of the stone walls, which is currently out of the frame on the right. In other words, a bit wider angle of view, with perhaps some cropping into a more panoramic aspect ratio.

Thanks! It could help, although I have to say I don't personally see it making or breaking the pic. What remains absolutely true is that I don't check the edges of my composition nearly as often as I should (always).

It's a nice image with beautiful color. But it does seem a bit off balance, and it took me awhile to realize that. I think the foreground on the right is throwing it off, there's a lot of empty space that draws attention to itself by being darker than the rest of the image. I imagined that if the whole foreground were devoted to the zigzagging road barriers, it would feel more balanced.

Thanks for input! I already pushed the empty quadrant a bit. Now I kind of like the darkness there as it somewhat matches the small green triangle above.

And you're right, if the whole foreground could be barriers it would be grand. :)

Here are couple of things that make it difficult for my brains to realise how nice picture it actually is.

On the foreground high difference in light on the white zigzag and empty dark area. Secondly the out of focus object so dominant (zigzag) on the foreground.

And the picture is open on the background but squeezed and cut, though. For this picture more ‘air’ for background would work better IMO.
Very politely put, thank you :D

The buildings didn't line up the way the other lines did so I made this decision to cut it harshly. It looks crowded and messy. Backgrounds aren't my thing really. Hoping to learn from you more!

Hi Mike,
I like your photo because of the zig-zag lines that lead the eye through it. So I took it into Lightroom and had a look at it there. There are just a few minor adjustments I made and I hope you like the result:
- rotating anti-clockwise by -5° (to get the vertical lines of the buildings levelled)
- white balance and colour balance
- getting the dark foreground lighter for the colours of the grass and tarmac (show a little more of the sunlight)
- slight cropping to get the end of the zig-zagging lines into the corners (lower left and upper right)

2019-08-17-18-15-MP003520-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back