Film Your ISO rating for HP5+

Jim

Regular
Name
James Olivari
I've been shooting a lot of HP5+ lately in both 35mm and 120 format. While Ilford rates this film at ISO 400, I seem to have a little better results when using it at 200. Recently, I tried a roll at 800 and got good results. I realize HP5+ has a great deal of exposure latitude & this got me to wondering if there is a consensus on rating this film's speed.

I develop in Sprint (D-76 clone) at 21C on a Jobo processor and scan negs using an Epson scanner.

(I posted this in another forum to get as many results as possible.)

I normally rate at box speed, but use mostly 120 and handheld, aiming for higher shutter speeds, while also having the possibility to go a bit low light. Howe er, I normally meter for the shadows.

I think the strategy of shooting EI 200 is to lift shadows and the dark areas with a hint of detail away from the tow of the curve, allowing the highlights to take care of themselves. However, using an incident lightmeter I'm getting good results at ISO400.

After I wrote that post, I did some tests with my F5 and shot HP5+ rated at ISO400. I bracketed each shot +1 and -1 stop. Examining the negatives showed that, in evenly lit scenes, the correct speed was 400 to give good detail in both highlights and shadows. Rather than constantly play around with ISO settings, when in doubt I'll bracket one stop +/- and all is covered.

Back