Micro 4/3 Your Treasured M43 'Sleeper Lens"?

John King

Member of SOFA
Name
John ...
I agree, not everyone can see the rendering difference but I can.
I can with some of my lenses, but it doesn't bother me most of the time. Sometimes it does.

As my eyesight deteriorates (I'm 75 y.o. now), it will probably bother me less and less. Probably have to have cataract surgery on my left eye in the next year or two. My right eye is still ~20/5, corrected.

Panasonic certainly has a few in my opinion....the 35-100mm f/4-5.6 and the 45-175mm come to mind.
I've come to like the 45–200 II quite a bit, despite it being chonky for a μ43 f/4–5.6 and having less long end entrance pupil expansion than the 45–175. Just happens I tend to certain niche uses where the extra 25 mm on the long end's proved substantial.

The 9-18 is probably one. I didn’t even know it existed for a few years on my M43 journey.
If I have sleeper μ43 lens it's the 9–18. Been my least used μ43 lens, which is a little odd as an ultrawide with a similar mme range was my most used lens in my previous system, but selling it to rely solely on phone ultrawide doesn't make sense.

jbruce

Top Veteran
Name
John
I can with some of my lenses, but it doesn't bother me most of the time. Sometimes it does.

As my eyesight deteriorates (I'm 75 y.o. now), it will probably bother me less and less. Probably have to have cataract surgery on my left eye in the next year or two. My right eye is still ~20/5, corrected.
I had cataract surgery on both eyes at age 76 with wonderful success. Doc said that 76 is the predominate age when this is performed; so you're about due, John.

John King

Member of SOFA
Name
John ...
I had cataract surgery on both eyes at age 76 with wonderful success. Doc said that 76 is the predominate age when this is performed; so you're about due, John.
Yeah, John. My good lady wife had both eyes done earlier this year. She now has vision as good as my corrected right eye. Without glasses. Pretty fantastic outcome.

Name
Graham

I had cataract surgery on both eyes almost 9 years ago. Apart from not liking extended periods of highway driving at night (street lights & headlights flare in left eye when pupils fully dilated), the results have been excellent. The first thing I noticed was colors really popped compared to having the cataract.

griffljg

Regular
Name
Larry Griffiths
My sleeper lens is the Olympus 12-45mm f/4 PRO. I originally bought it to "live" on my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II when it became a backup camera to the E-M1 Mk III. My standard "go-to" lens is the 12-100mm f/4 IS PRO, with the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO always in my bag, in case needed.

As time went by, I would sometimes take the 12-45mm out for a play. I got to see its advantages..... Lightest of the PRO lenses, very compact, close focusing distances makes it good for occasional use for macro photography, IQ much the same as the 12-100 and 12-40, etc....... It's a real sleeper.

But then I made a mistake......... I gave my old E-M1 Mk II to an old friend in South Africa, as I was no longer using it. But I forgot to swap the lens out for something more suitable. Both camera and lens were well on their way to South Africa before I realised what I had done. I now have another one on order and expect it in the next couple of weeks. An expensive lesson has been learnt! ;)