Fuji Your wish list for the X-Pro 2 ?

800ISO

Hi All,

Just registered. This new forum is a great idea and I hope it'll grow into something really big. This would be good for the X community and could potentially help Fuji to get a lot of feedback from their customers.

Now to the "why" of this wish list. Well, I discovered photography thank to digital cameras. I quickly moved to DSLR, had bodies from Canon (350D, 40D, 5D, 5D2), Nikon (D700, D800) and secretely dreamed of having a Leica M (which I could never afford) until ... June 2012 when I could finally buy the Fuji X-Pro 1. And I went big! I bought the wooden boxset with body, 3 lenses, filters, grip,95 mb/s SD cards, soft release, Think Tank bag ... you name it. I loved the Fuji X-Pro 1. Actually it's not true. It's been a love / hate affair until firmware 2.00 came out.

Like most of you I loved the 35mm lens and probably shot some of my best pictures with this body. Even the 60mm lens was ok for most of my shots - and it was razor sharp (portrait taken with the 60mm macro: 500px).

However I sold the X-Pro 1 as well as all the lenses :mad: I know, boooo :doh:

Having used the X-Pro 1 for several months changed the way I take pictures but there were several things that kept annoying me. The 2.00 firmware was a major improvement and bravo to Fuji for keeping the X-Pro 1 up to date so well. But I still felt the camera was some sort of beta model. I can't wait to jump on the X-Pro 1 successor provided Fuji adds some of the features I put in my wish list.

The XE-1 was extremely tempting and I sometimes wonder whether I should sell my D700 to get it. I saw the camera in Japan last week, could hold it for 2 minutes but couldn't test it properly. My initial feeling was that the X-Pro 1 was probably the right size for my hands. Do I miss the X series? Yes big time but I want more from those bodies :rolleyes: (I do really miss the size and weight).

To the wish list:

- Faster Autofocus. I know I know :p keep your DSLR if you want to shoot sport. OK. However the Fuji could still be improved and I would love it to match the Olympus OM-D series. I hope Fuji's working on it and will find ways to speed up things (body processor and lenses).

- Please allow us to change the focus point with the back wheel. I mean, that wheel should be part of the custom settings. The way one has to select its focus point right now is a complete non-sense.

- Top notch EVF. I'm sure we'll see the XE-1 EVF on the X-Pro 2. The X100S just got it...

- Would love to be able to finetune / adjust the frame in the OVF. I never found it to be accurate nor nice to use with lenses like the 60mm.

- Usable continuous shooting mode. I mean, seriously? That mode is a joke.

- Remote flash trigger function.

- Weather sealing. This body deserves the right to be outdoor all the time !

- Revamped GUI. Those menus are not the most user friendly.

- Where are the 23mm and 50mm lenses ? I want them :love:

I'll probably come back to update this list but I would be really interested to know what YOU would like to see in Fuji next high end body.

I didn't put or mentioned full frame sensor because I'm ok with cropped sensors. Especially the ones generating pictures like the X-Pro 1. Also I always found the bokeh from the X lenses to be amazing. Full frame would potentially increase the size of the camera and probably its weight as well. Not interested.

+1 for all the above.

Much faster and more accurate AF as well as shot to shot time. High accuracy face recognition would also be excellent. For years I laughed at face recognition, but now that I've tried it with the Oly OM-D, it has proven incredibly useful.

Improved video functions and quality on a par with the Oly OM-D at the least, and the Panasonic GH3 as ideal. Come to think of it, put these improvements in the X-E1 successor because I'd prefer a camera smaller than the X-Pro 1!

An on/off switch with much more resistance, please! I can't count the number of times my XP1 has turned itself on being taken out of a bag or while removing the half-case. I can put up with everything else, but this is really unnecessarily annoying.

An on/off switch with much more resistance, please! I can't count the number of times my XP1 has turned itself on being taken out of a bag or while removing the half-case. I can put up with everything else, but this is really unnecessarily annoying.

Fair point, I forgot to mention this one indeed :th_salute:

I'm afraid I'm outside these choices to bring up why I haven't bought an X-Pro. If and when an XPII comes along, FF puh-leeze add a variable diopter like you use on EVERYTHING else. It was really half-baked of them to put it out and hope their customers figured out to go to Nikon (?!?) to buy diopters 'till they marketed their own. While they're at it, if you could 'pre-stage' the eye sensor with the choice of EVF or OVF would be nice, as well as having one info display on the LCD and another in the viewfinder.

OK, I'm through . . . .

Would be nice to have the option in the poll of 'Happy As It Is...'

I know Fuji will iterate and make a camera that works well for me even better, but I don't have any current gripes.

I often wonder if some of the things people ask for are as a result of paper comparison with other cameras. Are these things part of a feature list, or are they benefits that people really need? It would be interesting to hear from people real world examples of how the absence of listed items is currently restricting their use of the camera.

Would be nice to have the option in the poll of 'Happy As It Is...'

I know Fuji will iterate and make a camera that works well for me even better, but I don't have any current gripes.

I often wonder if some of the things people ask for are as a result of paper comparison with other cameras. Are these things part of a feature list, or are they benefits that people really need? It would be interesting to hear from people real world examples of how the absence of listed items is currently restricting their use of the camera.

As far as I'm concerned most of the things I listed are issues I faced in real life situation when using the camera. In90% of the time it is perfect. But there are some situations were the frustration is too high. Moving objects or people, children is one of them. If the AF is not fast enough then I like to be able to select the AF point I'll be working on. Center point and recompose is an option but the way the camera had to be set didn't make sense to me.

One thing I didn't mention is that the distance between your subject and the lens would sometimes vary in OVF mode from shot to the other.
I don't expect Fuji to implement all the nice to have and I'm not saying that this camera wasn't great. Quite the opposite. I loved it but I think there is room for improvement. If I have to chose 3 things only, I would go for faster AF (which will happen with the next sensor as it did with the X100S), better method to select the focus points and weather sealing. Those things already would probably appeal to most of the potential buyers.

Also I didn't mention the RAW issues in LR or other softwares because this is getting fixed.

Imagine what a killer camera the X-Pro 1 would have been if Fuji had come out with a good AF system, RAW support in Lightroom from day 1, great LCD screen, ... Those things were already possible. Ok, price might have been even higher but Leica would be having a really hard time.

... and hope their customers figured out to go to Nikon (?!?) to buy diopters 'till they marketed their own.

This is typically what I meant with having the feeling to be more or less a beta tester. All camera systems have their pros and cons but I always felt Fuji delivered this model too quickly and somehow ruined a bit the reputation of what could have been THE camera that everyone wants.

If faster AF is possible with the existing lenses, that would be nice. But if not, I'm OK with the current level of auto focus. And as long as there's either a physical or virtual distance scale somewhere on the camera, zone focus can work when the AF isn't fast enough. So I'm cool with it. Other than that, I'm sure the sensors will continue to get better and while the current sensors are more than adequate for my needs, better is always better, even when the returns are diminishing. I'm not really interested in any additional whiz-bangery for the X-Pro - I quite like its simplicity and straight-forward approach. I have an OMD for when I want FEATURES and cool stuff. The X-Pro is just an awesomely straight-forward camera. So other than a weak wish for better AF, my greatest hope is just that they don't screw up a good thing by "improving" it in the wrong direction. Its a pretty effing wonderful camera just as it is, with some damn fine lenses...

-Ray

If faster AF is possible with the existing lenses, that would be nice. But if not, I'm OK with the current level of auto focus. And as long as there's either a physical or virtual distance scale somewhere on the camera, zone focus can work when the AF isn't fast enough. So I'm cool with it. Other than that, I'm sure the sensors will continue to get better and while the current sensors are more than adequate for my needs, better is always better, even when the returns are diminishing. I'm not really interested in any additional whiz-bangery for the X-Pro - I quite like its simplicity and straight-forward approach. I have an OMD for when I want FEATURES and cool stuff. The X-Pro is just an awesomely straight-forward camera. So other than a weak wish for better AF, my greatest hope is just that they don't screw up a good thing by "improving" it in the wrong direction. Its a pretty effing wonderful camera just as it is, with some damn fine lenses...

-Ray

This resonates with me. I hope they don't mess with the gestalt. I waited a long time for a camera that works the way this one does.

As far as I'm concerned most of the things I listed are issues I faced in real life situation when using the camera. In90% of the time it is perfect. But there are some situations were the frustration is too high. Moving objects or people, children is one of them. If the AF is not fast enough then I like to be able to select the AF point I'll be working on. Center point and recompose is an option but the way the camera had to be set didn't make sense to me.

One thing I didn't mention is that the distance between your subject and the lens would sometimes vary in OVF mode from shot to the other.
I don't expect Fuji to implement all the nice to have and I'm not saying that this camera wasn't great. Quite the opposite. I loved it but I think there is room for improvement. If I have to chose 3 things only, I would go for faster AF (which will happen with the next sensor as it did with the X100S), better method to select the focus points and weather sealing. Those things already would probably appeal to most of the potential buyers.

Also I didn't mention the RAW issues in LR or other softwares because this is getting fixed.

Imagine what a killer camera the X-Pro 1 would have been if Fuji had come out with a good AF system, RAW support in Lightroom from day 1, great LCD screen, ... Those things were already possible. Ok, price might have been even higher but Leica would be having a really hard time.

Fair enough of course - we each have specific needs. I know if a camera was 90% good for me I'd be wildly happy, and certainly wouldn't feel like a beta tester.

The idea behind this post is not to conclude whether or not the X-Pro 1 is a good camera. If we're all here, it's because we like the X system (body and lenses). It's really more about what we would like to get on the X-Pro 2 :)

The idea behind this post is not to conclude whether or not the X-Pro 1 is a good camera. If we're all here, it's because we like the X system (body and lenses). It's really more about what we would like to get on the X-Pro 2 :)

It's valid for someone to respond to your list of desired improvements and post about why you didn't keep your X-Pro1 by stating that they're very satisfied with their X-Pro1 and hope Fuji keeps what's good about it when making any future improvements.

It's valid for someone to respond to your list of desired improvements and post about why you didn't keep your X-Pro1 by stating that they're very satisfied with their X-Pro1 and hope Fuji keeps what's good about it when making any future improvements.

Don't misunderstand me here. I'm completely ok with all the answers. I think all the points are perfectly valid. And like everyone else I also hope they'll keep all the good stuff. I just wanted to clarify why I posted the poll and the wish list. I don't want people to get the impression that I don't like the X-Pro 1. It just didn't satisfied my needs on some key points (for me). Therefore I wait for the v.2 and hope they'll bring in new or improved features. That's all. Please don't take my comments as a negative reaction to users being entirely satisfied with the X-Pro 1. It is absolutely not the case, quite the opposite.

Gotcha. Sometimes thread starters get a "thread owners" mentality, as in "I asked how to improve the X-Pro, so answer the question or you're off topic". I thought you might be coming at it that way, but I misunderstood.

Back