Nikon Z 40mm f/2

Irene McC

Legend
Who's got this lens? Good or bad? Bang for buck I think one can't really go too wrong?
Currently on a birthday sale at our local pro photography shop and, yes, I'm tempted

Let me know your thoughts please? One negative I've read about is the plastic mount.
I can live with that for casual use; not intending to treat it rough

I have been very happy with mine. It mostly lives on my Z5 which makes a nice light weight package.
It is not weather sealed but it has fast AF. Here are a couple odd sample images.
SIJuly 2022 Day 28.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DRL_0457.jpeg

Last edited:
I have this lens to use with my Z6 and it makes a compact package. It's definitely a nice bang for buck and my only way to make a small kit out of the system.

I rather like the overall look and feel of images from the combo. It sharpens up in the center at about f 2.8, but I'll still use it wide open. Corner sharpness for my uses isn't important, I'm usually taking photos of people. Also you'll be using the DX frame so not much to worry with there. The sharpness isn't as good at close focus distance as it is further out.

AF is quick and silent. I have no concern with the mount and I like that it has a nice overhang to shield the joint from direct dust ingress even though it's not got the mounting gasket.

Overall I would buy it again. I would still love the 50mm 1.8S for max IQ, but it doesn't cover the small package niche

Congrats on the purchase, Irene. I've had this lens since it was introduced. I've found it to be excellent - not clinically sharp like, say, the 50mm f/1.8S, but that's why I like it. Still very sharp, but more of an organic look and great out-of-focus rendering. It has become one of my favorite travel lenses.

A couple from this lens that I happen to have on my desktop, with the Z 6 (sorry if I've posted these previously):

MarkSPeterson-67098.jpg

MarkSPeterson-67123.jpg

Local camera store had a used 40/2 (regular version) for a good price, traded for it.

While it is not an "S" lens, based on my initial experience, it is a very nice lens. Quick AF, small and works well on the Z fc. Will take it out on the Z6 sometime soon to see how it fairs on FX.

Here are some samples from a walk about today:
06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7594.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7598-Edit.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7604-Edit.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7608-Edit.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7610-Edit.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7624-Edit.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7612.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7634-Edit.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7636-Edit.jpg

06-16-2023_franklinton_zfc_DSC_7640.jpg

I've read a few reviews that stated the weakness of the lens is it's lack of sharpness at close focus. I did not experience that. It is less contrasty and sharp as f/2, but by f/2.8 it starts really getting close to the characteristics if something like the 35/1.8.

I have one as well (my most recent purchase) and although, due to weather conditions here, I haven't had much of a chance to shoot with it, from what I've seen so far, I really like it

Your set above certainly is excellent! I especially like the sky and clouds in #2

A most varied series of images for one afternoon. I envy your opportunities

I have one as well (my most recent purchase) and although, due to weather conditions here, I haven't had much of a chance to shoot with it, from what I've seen so far, I really like it

Your set above certainly is excellent! I especially like the sky and clouds in #2

A most varied series of images for one afternoon. I envy your opportunities

Thanks. I'm very fortunate that I have a relatively diverse area in which to shoot. I live in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. I'm less than 10 miles from city center and less than 10 miles from total isolation.
The dogs love to adventure as much as I do, so really - we just go out open and empty and take whatever is presented in front of us. Thankfully, I seem to get fortunate with rich subject matter.

Last edited:
Back