Nikon Z9

Sony fanbois just being salty :cool:
Quite possible, but unlikely in this case. When you're out of chips, you're out of chips. Sony is struggling with the same thing, they've culled some camera models and are temporarily stopping production on others.

The article says 'stock' shipments. I take that to mean pre-orders will trickle in on a first come basis over that period, but don't expect to find one on the shelf for many months. The same will likely be true with the A7-IV and any other newly released body. Canon's R3 is still not listed as in-stock at B&H.

Each manufacturer will dedicate enough chips to say they met their launch date goal, and that will be it.

Just saw an article at Sony Rumors saying the Z9 next shipment isn't until Oct. 2022 due to chips. That doesn't sound good for anyone in the camera industry, or the entire world for that matter. I was unable to find anything on this announcement at other sites, so take it with a grain.
Nah, that’s crap. One random store puts a date up, and they ran with that as truth. Last chat with Nikon (I meet with them every two weeks), not only will they be delivering on all their NPS orders by mid January, they should be able to meet most if not all their regular preorders by the same time. In fact, they allowed us to raise our cap on preorders and allowed for backstop/out of stock ordering as well. They’re producing more than the rumor mills suggest. I think they’ve played it well so far, under promising and over delivering.

In fact, regardless of brand it appears flagship models are well stocked. We have enough A1’s to choke a camel. What we don’t have is any entry level anything from any manufacturer...well short of some Canon DSLR bundles.

That's good news, because the shortages will affect everyone. If Nikon is keeping up I'd expect the others to as well. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I think expecting chip shortages to have an effect to currently unknown extents is reasonable. I expect reps to be optimistic and competing rumors sites to be pessimistic.

Nice article written by a sports photographer. The images are really impressive. I'd never really heard of the LED banding problem as I really don't so sports photography at all. Closest I come is the occasional NASCAR or MC race.
I also included this camera size comparison because it is ridiculous: Compare camera dimensions side by side

Last edited:
Back