Leica Zeiss 50/1.4 QBM on E-PL1

Raid

All-Pro
Dana

OLY%20EPL1%20Planar-2-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OLY%20EPL1%20Planar%20copy%201s.jpg

I used the software PerfectEffects9 to get this effect here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raid, what is QBM? Which adapter did you use?
Hi Christi,
QBM is the old Rollei SLR mount for their 35mm camera system. Quick Bayonet Mount .... I LOVE the Zeiss lenses in QBM. This lens is the Zeiss Planar 50/1.4. I used a Rollei QBM to M 4/3 adapter.

The Rollei mount Zeiss lenses used to be bargain priced lenses many years ago. The past Shutterbug magazine Editor (Bob Shell) wrote about these type of Zeiss lenses as bargain priced. I bought the fast Zeiss 35/1.4 and 85/1.4,plus the 35/2.8 and the Sonnar 85/2.8. I also have the Schneider Xenon 50/1.8. With M4/3 cameras, such lenses were given a new life on digital cameras.

Gorgeous shots.

So many of these lenses were bargains when Autofocus came out, and when Digital first took over. Unfortunately- I did not pick up the Zeiss lenses...

Thank you Brian. I have currently Don Goldberg finalizing his repair of the Zeiss 35/1.4 and 85/1.4. I will get them back with full aperture control and with perfect focusing. The Zeiss lenses from the 1970's were multi-coated, and they seem to be different from the modern Zeiss lenses that we see being sold in a variety of mounts. I recall that Bob Shell was saying then that whoever did not have the money to buy Zeiss lenses in Contax mount, the Rollei SL system was the way to go to get such lenses for far less money. An ad in Shutterbug had the 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 for sale, and I negotiated the prices down to $400 for both lenses together. I waited for a few years until I sent the lenses back to DAG. He identified internal mechanical problems that were caused by "someone" in the past. He crafted a missing part too. Then he asked me for a Rollei SL35 body so that he could check the infinity focus. He told me that in the 35/1.4 he had to go through multiple focus points because a previous repair job had messed up the lens. I am glad that we still have such gifted repair people.

Planar%20FOG-32bw-L.jpg

We had lots of fog this morning. I drove to Joe Patti's Seafood to take some photos of the fishing boats. (Dana's idea!)

Back