Leica Showcase Zeiss 50/2.0 Planar ZM

NJH

Regular
This is the first lens I got with the M8, here is a brief selection from one of my first outings with the lens about a month ago. They are shot either wide open or stopped down to F16. Stopping down that far was a mistake as the images show an odd haloing at the pixel level which you can't see in these web sized images. In the future I won't stop down lower than either F8 or F11.

Using this lens is a walk in the park.....

GiveMeAsign.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WaitLove.jpg

WaitLoveAgain.jpg

StephySmiling.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Neil

At F16- Diffraction is creeping in, much more visible when pixel peeping than it was on film. F4 and F5.6 are probably the sharpest settings, and with 1/8000th on the M8- no problem.

Nice photos. I really like the way this lens renders. It's probably my favorite 50mm on my M9. Incidentally, diffraction starts creeping in after f/5.6 on the M9. However if the choice is no image versus one with diffraction, I choose the latter every single time.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368597507.973797.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368597507.973797.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 282
There are other things I like about it as well such as the hood arrangement. Some may find the bayonet ugly but its a great example of functional design, takes no more than 2 seconds to twist on or off the hood. I also find the focus action very smooth but for me the nub on the lens is not really useable, I tend to use two fingers and aim more for accuracy than speed. One last note which is on a point that Ken Rockwell criticises, the 43mm filter thread may well be unusual but he is wrong about it not fitting in a lens system, its fine if you buy all the Zeiss lenses with the 43mm thread.

Many Nikon RF lenses use 43mm, as did the original Leica Summilux. This is a common filter size in the RF world.

Easiest thing to do- find a Series VI filter adapter. My filter VI adapter includes the vented hood.

I bought mine from Robert White's about 1/2 hour away, they had the B&W 486 in this size in stock so for me it wasn't really an issue. I may at a later date add the 35mm biogon and just swap over filters.

Back