Leica Zeiss Biogon 35/2 ZM with the M9

Raid

All-Pro
I bought a lightly used Zeiss Biogon 35/2 ZM (in M mount) for my M9 to enjoy.
Amin pointed out the great asking price. Thanks!

I tried out this lens duirng one sunsrise over Escambia Bay (Pensacola). There was nothing special about it all, but these were my first captured images with this lens. The next day, I observed sunset at Bayou Texar (Pensacola Florida). It was not a spectacular sunset, but who cares! I enjoyed it all. The following day, we drove to Destin Beach (Florida) for the remainder of the day, and I had one hour to myself just before sunset. I liked that time a lot. Then, I picked up my family from the shopping malls to drive back home. One hour alone felt good.

I opened the DNG files in LR5, followed by transferring all images untouched to jpg. Of course, "stuff" happens to images as you do it, but I did not modify any setting at all (on purpose). No contrast changing or exposure or ... etc.

I uploaded all images to my smugmug account.

Link: https://raid.smugmug.com/Other/Zeiss-Biogon-352/52233066_42V6C3#!i=4384631765&k=GBkknTT

Bayou Texar

Biogon-48-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Biogon-58-XL.jpg

Escambia Bay

Biogon-L.jpg

Destin Beach

Biogon-115-XL.jpg

Biogon-106-XL.jpg

Biogon-87-XL.jpg

Biogon-81-XL.jpg

Life is good.

Feedback is always welcome.

Biogon-96-XL.jpg

Biogon-100-XL.jpg

The lens felt good in my hands, when used on the M9. I like it a lot. I could have used the Summicron or the Summilux pre-asph or the Canon 35/2 or 35/2.8 or 35/1.5 or 35/1.8 or the Nikon 35/1.8 or ...
and I really am not favoring the 35mm focal length that much! Somehow, and over the years, I am used to 35mm on the M9 and a 50mm on the M8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous shots- makes me miss Pensacola even more...

I tend to favor 50's as well, have a few 35's. My favorite is the 35/2 Nikkor-O for the F. No explanation! Just the way it is...

Thanks. It sems to be a good match between camera and lens.

------

"For shots like these, it might be the best 35 you can put on the M9 :)

Very nice Raid"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice images, I must say.

I 'googled' the Zeiss Biogon 35/f2 and came across a review by Steve Huff. He mentions a couple of issues with the sample supplied for review (he was using an M9, by the way):
Play in the manual focus ring;
Vignetting between f2 and f4, even with the lens set-up to Summicron 35/f2 PRE-ASPH in the menu (as standard there's no 6-bit coding on the Zeiss, but can be modified I believe).

Hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm wondering whether you had a similar or different experience?

I never noticed such negative aspects on the lens that I have. I have seen Steve Huff's review, but I take things with a grain of salt. I use lenses. I don't test them. I take thousands of photos, and I se what I like and what I don't like. I set the lens identifier to Summicron pre-asph. Focusing was a snap.

Thank you for such a quick reply.
It's make my mind up time shortly, i.e whether to go Leica or not, and your excellent photographs caught my eye. Save quite a bit of money to go Zeiss, that's for sure.

Focusing was a snap is slightly lost on me, do you mean quick and accurate without any play in the mechanism within the lens?

Back