Leica Zeiss Biogon 35 f2.8 with CL

rflove

Veteran
So I went out for a walk today with the CL and the Zeiss Biogon 35mm f2.8, I took the monopod but foolishly did not use it. I think for some reason the CL with adapted M mount lenses is just not easy to hold steady... Or maybe I'm expecting too much. I only shot a few images and decided to go with B&W as the light was brutally bright.

This area of Ponce de Leon is the diving line between North and South of Atlanta and in the East side. the first house is a rent controlled apartment building. I don't know how old it is but it's definitely in the "feral" side of the avenue. I shot the billboard that shows an event which will most likely will not take place and anyway John Prine just passed away.. the building below it houses "Scarlet Loves Rhettro" a junk shop where the owner, a very cool lady, sold me a set of really cool mid century Drexel dining room chairs (love them). The Yaarab Shrine in on the North side of Ponce and it's been there forever. The last building is a really neat Victorian Building, The Ponce. Believe it or not, back in the 90s a huge, beautiful 2+ br top floor condo could be had for $100K.... Alas, no more.

Your comments are welcome.

L1010399-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1010402-Edit.jpg
L1010403-Edit.jpg
L1010406-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
All your pictures are quite bright, the first one works for me, the rest is too bright for my taste.
I generally agree with this remark - it's as if you lifted the mid-tones a bit too much for my taste. It's nothing to do with the lens, to be sure - the 35mm f/2.8 C Biogon is one of my most used lenses on the M10 because it provides oodles of contrast (which makes it easy to pull contrast in post if you so choose) and sharpness.

M.

All your pictures are quite bright, the first one works for me, the rest is too bright for my taste.
I generally agree with this remark - it's as if you lifted the mid-tones a bit too much for my taste. It's nothing to do with the lens, to be sure - the 35mm f/2.8 C Biogon is one of my most used lenses on the M10 because it provides oodles of contrast (which makes it easy to pull contrast in post if you so choose) and sharpness.

M.

Thank you for the comments, we all have different aesthetic sensibilities :). Just to be clear, I do not blame the lens for my shortcomings: "I took the monopod but foolishly did not use it. I think for some reason the CL with adapted M mount lenses is just not easy to hold steady... Or maybe I'm expecting too much."

Do you recall the F-Stop for these?

The conversion to monochrome has left these with an Infrared look to them, the bright grass gives this look.
When shooting The M Monochrom, I typically use a deep yellow filter. This reduces Blue and renders the image much closer to how the eye perceives color. When doing conversions, I've used Lightroom to simulate a Yellow or Orange filter for conversions. I've gone as far as using a physical Yellow filter with the M9 when doing conversions.

Do you recall the F-Stop for these?

The conversion to monochrome has left these with an Infrared look to them, the bright grass gives this look.
When shooting The M Monochrom, I typically use a deep yellow filter. This reduces Blue and renders the image much closer to how the eye perceives color. When doing conversions, I've used Lightroom to simulate a Yellow or Orange filter for conversions. I've gone as far as using a physical Yellow filter with the M9 when doing conversions.

I cannot remember what f-stop I used. I wanted to obtain sharp focus and the light was very bright. I notice that when I put away the lens, it was set at f8.
However, I don't know if I inadvertently moved it between the time I captured the images and I removed and put away the lens.

I used the NIK collection Silver Efex Pro 2 to develop them. I did not intentionally choose an infrared effect, but I used the "high key 2" preset to get the look I wanted. It's totally artificial, but I felt that the light and the feeling of the shots was better expressed with that setting. I did add contrast and increased the black point IIRC.

Back