Leica Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 (after DAG repair) on E-PL1

Raid

All-Pro
One of my alltime favorite lenses is the Zeiss 85/1.4 that originally was used by me on some Rollei 35mm SLR cameras until its aperture mechanism suddenly broke, and I was able to use the lens only wide open. The old Rollei cameras were never reliable from the start, so I set them aside, while I started using my Zeiss lenses (in Quick Bayonet Mount or QBM) with an adapter on M 4/3 cameras. The view is then that of a 170mm lens, with DOF of a 85/1.4 lens. This lens limited me when there was a sunshine day since 1.4 was too wide, but I still love to use the lens indoor wide open or at night.

After trying several repair people to fix the lens, finally Don Goldberg gave it a second try last January. I sent him also a Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 so that he could see how its aperture mechanism and blades looked like in case he needed to craft (new) replacement blades for the 85mm lens. I also mailed him a 35SL camera so that he could fine tune the focusing in the end.

It turned out that the Distagon also was messed up! Don suggested at one stage that there was nothing he could do to improve the 85/1.4 due to messed up components, but I asked him to take his time one more time, and in the end, he managed to repair both lenses.

I recently had a trip to Boston and to Chicago, so I took my 85/1.4 lens and the E-PL1 to test the repaired lens.

Chicago_1_-17-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WONDERFUL! congratulations, first on having two of my favorite all time lenses, second on having two of the best lenses ever at their FLs (imo), third on insisting on bringing them back to life, and fourth on knowing how to use them. these are magnificent tools and i know they will provide immeasurable enjoyment for years to come.

Thank you. Yes, I am quite happy that I persisted after several years of failed attempts to get the 85/1.4 repaired. It is an awesome lens, and so is the 35/1.4. I also have the Zeiss 50/1.4, which is a great lens.

i just wish they were smaller! as much as i loved and appreciated them and knew they were best in class, i just couldnt deal with the bulk and turned to rangefinder instead. :( i miss them, but i made the right decision for me and my shooting style. i will live vicariously and enjoy them again through your work, ok?

I switch back and forth between M8 & M9 RF cameras, and the E-P2 & E-PL1 M 4/3 cameras (with the large Zeiss lenses).
I never use both lenses together because of the weight, but the 85/1.4 is a very special lens that makes photography with it a piece of cake.
I hold the lens and not the camera since the E-PL is small and light.

In an upcoming trip to Europe, I am planning to use the M9 with 35/1.4 Lux, plus the E-PL1 with the 85/1.4 or with the Takumar 50/1.4 (in M mount). The Takumar would give me a 100mm view on the E-PL1 and a 50mm view on the M9.

Yes, this is true. Don is a gentleman with special skills to bring equipment back to life. He charged me only a relatively small amount for this highly specialized work. Maybe it was a special favor to me. I am very grateful.

Back