Zeiss ZX1

It looks very different from the RX1. The website is really annoying to use.

Whomever is responsible for that website should be fired. Stuff flashing and auto-opening everywhere. It gave me a headache.

But it is a full frame fixed 35mm lens camera with simple controls....right? The only camera I know like that is the RX1.

I don't mean it physically resembles the RX1...it's more awkward and boxy and angular....like the Sigma Quattro guys got to redesign the RX1.

I need to go somewhere other than the Zeiss page to read about it.

Whomever is responsible for that website should be fired. Stuff flashing and auto-opening everywhere. It gave me a headache.

But it is a full frame fixed 35mm lens camera with simple controls....right? The only camera I know like that is the RX1.

I don't mean it physically resembles the RX1...it's more awkward and boxy and angular....like the Sigma Quattro guys got to redesign the RX1.

I need to go somewhere other than the Zeiss page to read about it.

I agree that website is terrible. Better to read about it here: ZX1: Zeiss' First Full-Frame Camera Has Lightroom Built In
It fits into a niche with the RX1 and Leica Q. I find the inclusion of Lightroom interesting, but really like the 512G built in storage.

New lens/37MP FF sensor/camera designed by Zeiss for the cellphone generation... It is bigger then Rx1...

1704880.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a very exciting camera, and very removed from the Sony RX1.
  • Full touchscreen interface
  • Lightroom CC bundled INSIDE the camera
  • 512GB internal SSD instead of memory cards
  • WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity to upload directly to the internet
  • Shutter speed and ISO dials on the top, aperture ring on the lens
  • 4K video
  • IMMENSE EVF, about twice the resolution of others
While it wouldn't surprise me if this has a lot of Sony electronics inside, it's definitely not a rebadged RX1. I like this a LOT and am looking forward to seeing them in the metal.

This is a very exciting camera, and very removed from the Sony RX1.
  • Full touchscreen interface
  • Lightroom CC bundled INSIDE the camera
  • 512GB internal SSD instead of memory cards
  • WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity to upload directly to the internet
  • Shutter speed and ISO dials on the top, aperture ring on the lens
  • 4K video
  • IMMENSE EVF, about twice the resolution of others
While it wouldn't surprise me if this has a lot of Sony electronics inside, it's definitely not a rebadged RX1. I like this a LOT and am looking forward to seeing them in the metal.
I am interested too. But suspect this will be pricey.

Oh, it's going to be pricey, alright. I can't imagine this being cheaper than a Sony RX1r II. Probably Leica Q territory because it has a 512GB SSD built in, plus being small production run from a company that hasn't made a camera since the Zeiss Ikon film rangefinder, and has never produced a digital camera at all.

My only concerns are how easy it will be to operate exposure compensation, and how long batteries last. Something like this has to suck up a fair bit of power for the processor, harddrive, lens AF, EVF etc.

I just noticed it has no flash hotshoe, so no external flash.

And it weighs 800g with battery, which means it is heavier than a Leica M9 body with no lens. So it's about the same weight as a M9 with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton.

Last edited:
Not sure where I saw it but 5500 Euros comes to mind.

This would not surprise me in the slightest, and I don't understand how people (read: DPReview hecklers) can expect it to be USD $2000 or something equally daft. If the Sony RX1r II and Leica Q are the prices they are, how can a similar camera with even more technology, from a presumably even smaller production run, cost less??

Oh, it's going to be pricey, alright. I can't imagine this being cheaper than a Sony RX1r II. Probably Leica Q territory because it has a 512GB SSD built in, plus being small production run from a company that hasn't made a camera since the Zeiss Ikon film rangefinder, and has never produced a digital camera at all.

My only concerns are how easy it will be to operate exposure compensation, and how long batteries last. Something like this has to suck up a fair bit of power for the processor, harddrive, lens AF, EVF etc.

I just noticed it has no flash hotshoe, so no external flash.

And it weighs 800g with battery, which means it is heavier than a Leica M9 body with no lens. So it's about the same weight as a M9 with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton.
It does have the hot shoe for external flash. The write up indicated Sigma flash protocol.

Last edited:
If the 512GByte SSD storage is non-removable, this is an accident waiting to happen.

People complain about cameras without dual slots for redundancy. At least with a Single Slot you can remove the pictures from the camera, put in a second card.

On a humorous note, my 1993 Kodak DCS200 DSLR has a non-removable 80MByte SCSI disk built on. It still works. It will outlast most modern TByte drives even with the 25 year head start.

that hard drive must take up a lot of space. With all that space on the camera, it would have been nice to include some buttons and stuff.

I guess the future is all about cel phone-like controls. I feel so left out.

Touch screen is problematic for me, my schnoz seriously gets in the way, plus it gets all nasty from the oils, etc.

I like that LR CC is built in, but how much headspace is available for the eventual updates to the PP software?

This would be more versatile with an interchangeable mount. Zeiss has a full range of various lenses and mounts, so it's not like they'd be starting from scratch. Imagine this with a 85/24 setup. Brilliant.

that hard drive must take up a lot of space. With all that space on the camera, it would have been nice to include some buttons and stuff.

I guess the future is all about cel phone-like controls. I feel so left out.
The interesting thing about this camera is that it appears it has done everything "phone-like" when it comes to connectivity except include a radio for cell service. Even the editing software is included. I would not be surprised at all to see a radio at some point. It will add about $10 a month to your phone bill but you then have a high end camera that connects just like a phone. On vacation last week I often pulled out the cell phone because I wanted to share the photo with others back home. It's how the world works right now and Zeiss seems to understand that. Of course, it would be better in a sub-$1000 camera than a potentially $5000 + one.

Well, you need to add $10/month for adobe LR subscription also:) I don't know why Panasonic CM1 didn't work out, it was an upgrade from the current cellphone sensors...

The interesting thing about this camera is that it appears it has done everything "phone-like" when it comes to connectivity except include a radio for cell service. Even the editing software is included. I would not be surprised at all to see a radio at some point. It will add about $10 a month to your phone bill but you then have a high end camera that connects just like a phone. On vacation last week I often pulled out the cell phone because I wanted to share the photo with others back home. It's how the world works right now and Zeiss seems to understand that. Of course, it would be better in a sub-$1000 camera than a potentially $5000 + one.

Back