Zeiss ZX1

Instead of putting a cell radio in it, which would add to the cost of hardware, better software that ubiquitously and easily connects to your smartphone (regardless of brand / Operating System) allowing you to post appropriately sized photos would be more effective and dare I say, popular?

Add a cell phone and get all that RF interference in the images! That would be bad. When out, I tell my wife the Cellular Telephony Device is OFF so it will not induce noise in my photographs.
I’d like to see street photographers do that. Or me with my wife. :eek-54: A BT connection to the phone would be fine. Aside from the suspected price of the Zeiss, it would be good to see all the photo sharing stuff at your fingertips so that using your camera and sharing your images was no harder than using your phone.

Someone else with lower prices could try it. An ILC or fixed zoom camera that works like the camera components of a cell phone. Like the new phones, you could have some PP capacity built in. Not CC preferably, but one of the many photo editing apps. Mu43 or a one inch sensor would be nice, e.g., the Olympus EPL series. A more hip version of Nikon could have done that with the Nikon 1 series.

Someone else with lower prices could try it. An ILC or fixed zoom camera that works like the camera components of a cell phone. Like the new phones, you could have some PP capacity built in. Not CC preferably, but one of the many photo editing apps. Mu43 or a one inch sensor would be nice, e.g., the Olympus EPL series. A more hip version of Nikon could have done that with the Nikon 1 series.

Yeah, I like some aspects of the concept, but probably not the same ones as everyone else )and certainly NOT the committee that designed this.

Like I'll take a retro Pen, leave all the controls and dials as they were in 2012 on the E-P3 (or whatever), add in a hard drive (or better yet, cloud storage), an onboard software processing suite (or apps) and make it a cel phone....with all the connectivity and apps that implies.

But as much as you may need to have a touchscreen to use it as a phone and ac oomputer, PLEASE leave dials, toggles, buttons and switches so that I Can use it as a camera. Because if I want to take photos with a cel phone interface, there'a s million cell phones out there already.

I said it in jest years ago, but it is still true today. I'd rather have a great camera that can make good phone calls than a great phone that can take good photos.

Sure. I’m not saying make it a cellphone, just to give it the phone’s connectivity. My phone can act as a hot spot, so it can handle the connection. What I want is to take a shot, edit it a bit, and send it out as a text or an email without any more trouble than if I used the camera in my phone. This is how most people share their pictures nowadays. As someone else on this forum said, by the time I get home and process my pictures my wife has sent her phone pictures to everyone. There is an important “documenting life” function of cameras that our fancy ones are currently not fulfilling for those who don’t participate in forums like this one.

Last edited:
It's certainly interesting. But with that Zeiss label, it'll be way more expensive than it needs to be.

I'm not sure how much less expensive a camera like this could be. I'm thinking it will be in Leica Q territory because it is essentially a Sony RX1r II with a 512 GB SSD, built in Lightroom, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity and a new sensor designed for Zeiss, plus a new lens design. It's not going to be a high production quantity item, either.

Zeiss accounting has probably done the figures for how much money they need to make to break even, given design, R&D, marketing, prototyping, manufacture etc. Then they would figure out the price of the camera relative to the market, and aim to sell to a certain target quantity, and add more for profit.

I thought it looked promising initially. Then I thought about the cost (If it were a little below the RX1, maybe mid-price between the Sony and the Ricoh GR) it'd fly off the shelves). Then the size (its enormous!). Also, from memory, didn't Contax make the Zeiss Ikon M-Mount camera? Will this actually be a Zeiss made camera or will it just be a badged cam made by someone else (I'm not a purest or anything - I just want to know that if I'm paying a price premium I'm getting some genuine pixie-dust sprinkled on it by the finest artisans).

I thought it looked promising initially. Then I thought about the cost (If it were a little below the RX1, maybe mid-price between the Sony and the Ricoh GR) it'd fly off the shelves). Then the size (its enormous!). Also, from memory, didn't Contax make the Zeiss Ikon M-Mount camera? Will this actually be a Zeiss made camera or will it just be a badged cam made by someone else (I'm not a purest or anything - I just want to know that if I'm paying a price premium I'm getting some genuine pixie-dust sprinkled on it by the finest artisans).

There's no way this will cost less than the Sony RX1, see my post above. It has all the bells and whistles of the RX1r plus a better EVF, built in harddrive, new sensor and full new OS.

Yashica of Japan made numerous Contax film cameras under license, designed by Zeiss. These included the Contax RTS film SLR, later the G1 ad G2 autofocus rangefinders, and the Contax T/2/3/VS luxury compact cameras made by Kyocera. Contax as a brand ceased operating in the early 2000's.

I would love it if the Contax name had been reborn with this new camera, but we can always dream.

The M-mount film rangefinder is the Zeiss Ikon, manufactured by Cosina of Japan for Zeiss themselves. This was sold from about 2006 and ceased production in 2012. I have a Zeiss Ikon and it is a grand camera, although it's currently in need of repair. Interestingly, most of the Zeiss ZM Leica mount lenses are made by Cosina in Japan, but I believe the 15mm is made by Zeiss themselves in Germany.

While it would make sense for Zeiss to use some Sony technology for the insides of the ZX1, this isn't a rebranding of an existing camera. Nothing else like it exists at this time. Time will tell if Zeiss reveals the origin of the ZX1 innards.

The M-mount film rangefinder is the Zeiss Ikon, manufactured by Cosina of Japan for Zeiss themselves. This was sold from about 2006 and ceased production in 2012. I have a Zeiss Ikon and it is a grand camera, although it's currently in need of repair. Interestingly, most of the Zeiss ZM Leica mount lenses are made by Cosina in Japan, but I believe the 15mm is made by Zeiss themselves in Germany.

Aha. Thanks for the correction - Cosina not Contax. I knew it was one of the C's :)

Back