Zeiss ZX1

If chimping is already supposed to be bad, what now when I'm supposed to edit and PP the images on the go? I just don't see idea behind putting Lightroom in your camera. :)

Jokes aside (and we all can use a few chuckles these days) - you have to give Zeiss credit for trying to think& develop outside of the box...

They're trying something new (rather than just sticking a wood grip on a Sony).

Is the concept successful from my point of view? No.
Do I wish them enough financial success with this that they (or other companies) will keep trying out new things? Yes. :)

I just checked the website for the ZX1. It says 12.689 oz with the battery. The camera size website says 28 oz, however. Does the lens come off?

Last edited:
No, it's fixed lens. B&H website says 1.76 lb / 800 g (Body with Battery) which is equals to 28oz~1.75lb ...
I just checked the website for the ZX1. It says 12.689 oz with the battery. The camera size website says 28 oz, however. Does the lens come off?

Also there is no more preorder or price on it. It looks like the preorders are so great that Zeiss decided to delay its release another year:)

Last edited:
No, it's fixed lens. B&H website says 1.76 lb / 800 g (Body with Battery) which is equals to 1.75lb ...

Also there is no more preorder or price on it. It looks like the preorders are so great that Zeiss decided to delay its release another year:)
More than any other camera, the ZX1 represents what cameras are becoming, i.e., computers with a sensor and a lens. I will be curious to see if it sells.

Picture from DPR:

Zeiss-ZX1-top.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Is this perhaps the first mirrorless camera that has a proper half-stop-indent shutter speed dial? Great. Not too many of these out there, mirrorless or not. Leica M, that one Panasonic 4/3 DSLR, and now Zeiss ZX1.

Ooh, and a dedicated ISO dial. I do wonder what's exactly the rationale to have shutter speeds in half stops and ISO in third stops. Doesn't make any sense if you ask me. Then again, Leica M240 is guilty of the same design mishap.

Ideally the system should be unified in either half or third stops so that you can maintain your exposure, shift changes effortlessly.

Sorry people who resort to automatic exposure programs are screaming for lack of a physical exposure comp dial but REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS appreciate good tools to maintain a manual exposure.

All in all, this Zeiss design has some really bold choices in it.

If you read the user reviews on B&H, they aren't that flattering. Although the image quality is what you would expect, the interface is clunky. And it seems you still have to pay a monthly fee for Lightroom support in the camera itself! That can't be right.

Back