Fuji Zhong Yi Optics 20mm f/2.0 super macro

Choke

Rookie
Name
Jack Wallace
Aloha

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this in but here it is.

Just received the Zhong Yi 20mm f/2.0 super macro in Fuji X mount.

The first realization I had was that I was completely under prepared for the tripod/focus rail stability that is required with a super macro. I have this lens on my XT-2 and attached to lightweight tripod with a tilt/pan head and economy two direction focus rail. I shall in future refer to it as my vibration amplifying setup. VAS for short... :)

All my previous macro experience has been with a handheld olympus 60mm macro lens and various flowers, insects and usual suspects.

The shot with this lens that I post here was taken vertically (straight down) over a penny on a desk.

I found that besides the extremely noticeable motion introduced by my VAS the Focusing Rail would creep like the villain in a bad B movie.

This shot has been my best so far (20 minutes of attempts). It was accomplished by raising the camera above focus and watching the focus peak highlight screen while the villain approached the victim. I used a 12" old style threaded shutter release. Timing is everything and I definitely need a better internal metronome.

Time to switch from VAS to VRS me thinks.... (Vibration Reduction System)

mahalo for making it to the end ;-)
DSCF0129.JPG

I still have my old Spiratone focusing rail I used back in the 70's, Looks like I should get it out and see how it works with my new cameras. I used it all the time, with a bellows back in my film days.

Back