Manual Lens Zuiko Macro 50mm F3.5

I recently came across this lens so am placing a reference point for it in case anyone in future searches it in the lenses section. Definitely recommended. I have a much larger DLSR 100mm macro lens which is better when it comes to strictly macro but in terms of overall rendering, this cheapie is far more interesting. My approach is to use it as a general purpose lens for which it works great. But why would anyone consider this when, pretty much every 50mm lens ever made is good from a plastic fantastic to a Summilux? Well, off the top of my head, I can think of at least four reasons: 1) No matter what old MF Zuiko lens you use, this thing about "Olympus Colours" isn't a myth, there is most definitely a signature; 2) this lens really is sharp (if that's important to you) and just as sharp wide open as at F8; 3) like the renowned Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm, this lens has a 20cm minimum focus distance - so I actually consider this a more creative lens than say, those F1.2/F1.4 Zuikos; and 4) the bokeh (again, if this is important to you) can be varied between bubble and hexoganal both of which, to me, are effective. I'm afraid I'm not a pixel voyeur so if you are, you'll have to make do with the below images and make your on conclusions. But mine is, if you see a clean copy of one of these, grab it.

This macro was shot further away from the minimum focus distance but the lens still somehow manages to emphasise the raindrop.
1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the lens being used on a strolling around basis.

2.jpg

2a.jpg

The white balance of the lens renders more to a purple as opposed to green tint and has a cool temperature.

3.jpg

Wide open, the effect of the bokeh appears as bubble.

5.jpg

6.jpg

I messed the below image by accidentally using iso 800 instead of iso 100. But it shows when stopped down to F8 how the bokeh changes to hexoganal.

7.jpg

I will shoot some B&W images from this lens and post examples later this month.

Last edited:
Further to my previous post, some B&W examples are provided below. Anyone considering this lens should also have a look at a thread on the m43 site Showcase - Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f3.5 Macro .

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

I'm please you've refreshed my memory that I have one of these lenses in my drawer.
I've only used it when trying out an original OM1 which my neighbour gave me and I was pleased with the results, even using out of date film.
Although I've got the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens, I find it a faff to use and am often disappointed with the results, as I'm a 'happy snapper' kind of photographer and don't take enough time with set ups.
So, you've encouraged me to dig the old lens out and give it a try on my E-M5 Mk 2.
I hope to report back soon,
cheers.

Back